• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hawk Cuckoo, Singapore (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi, these two photos were taken this morning in Singapore, I would like to check with you if it is a Malaysian Hawk Cuckoo (based on the conspicuous streaks)? I did not manage to get a back view. Thank you so much in advance 🙏

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 36

andyb39

Ooh, difficult images. I must admit my first impression was Large Hawk-Cuckoo, but a closer look reveals far too much yellow on the base of the bill and extending quite far down the lower mandible, and the eye looks proportionately too large. I see no reason to think it's Hodgson's - the black streaks on the breast are too dark and narrow, and more importantly the subterminal band on the tail looks too broad.

wuwu1277

Dear andyb39: Thank you so much. I like your ID description, especially the eyes look proportionately too large... ( I also wondered how come its eyes so big when I downloaded the photos, haha...). Again, thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread