• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID please (1 Viewer)

chris baker

Hi Guys,

Attached pic 1 is of an out of focus hawk, alas had to taken thro thick glass on a really dark day. My guess is juv. sparrowhawk, I can't confirm as my collins guide doesn't show the back and I've never seen this colouration before.

The 2nd 2 have been sent to me by a friend for ID, again I go for sparrowhawk but I'm no expert.

Any steers much appreciated

CB

Attachments

• _Y9Z0155-copy-1.jpg
    _Y9Z0155-copy-1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 187
  • hawk_001-copy.jpg
    hawk_001-copy.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 179
  • hawk_005-copy.jpg
    hawk_005-copy.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 172
chris baker said:
My guess is juv. sparrowhawk, I can't confirm as my collins guide doesn't show the back and I've never seen this colouration before.

I believe pic 1 is a Sparrowhawk, Accipitier nisus, as I have seen a number showing this white flecking to the back this summer/autumn. However, I do not know if it is a juv feature or a moult feature in all birds. I would be very interested to know the answer also.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back