• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID requested, Glen Allen, Virginia, U.S.A. (1 Viewer)

catte

I'm guessing this is either a Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk based on small size and color but I am no expert, just a backyard bird watcher. The two photos show different colors as one was taken in the sun and the other when a cloud passed overhead. It landed on the deck twice, took off and I haven't seen it again. Date seen was Jan. 21, 2021, Location is Glen Allen, Virginia, U.S.A. Thank you in advance for any information or ID. It is very much appreciated! (click on the attachment to enlarge).

Attachments

• hawk id.jpg
    hawk id.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 25
Hi Catte, I think you have your ID. Just wanted to let you know that we would like the location in the title instead of the first post. This way folks who are more apt to know the bird will look at the thread instead of passing it by. Thanks.

Hi Catte, I think you have your ID. Just wanted to let you know that we would like the location in the title instead of the first post. This way folks who are more apt to know the bird will look at the thread instead of passing it by. Thanks.
Thanks very much, I will insert the location into the title.

I agree with Sharp Shinned hawk, we are lucky to have one visit our yard on occasion. Lovely photos, thank you for sharing.
Thank you for both your ID confirmation and wonderful comments on the photos. We mostly see Red-shouldered hawks here. The last Sharp-shinned before this one was in December, 2015. It is always so exciting to see hawks. I took the photos through a window so did not disturb the bird. Stay well and safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back