• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID, Southern Pantanal, Brazil (1 Viewer)

barrancoalto

User from the Pantanal
Brazil
Hi, could you please help me with this one?

Sighted in the southern Pantanal of Brazil.

Thank you all very much !

Attachments

• 1-LUC_1821.JPG
    1-LUC_1821.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 129
I would suggest that those on Wikiaves are correct then!

There are a few anomalies that bothered me, the bird is exceptionally long winged, too long really for Snail Kite. The plumage does fit Immature White-tailed rather well - http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4101/4783318038_2426011eab_o.jpg, except the black subterminal band, this is usually plain on a bird this age. The bill and bare skin don't look quite right but not really deep curved and typical for a SK, but I guess colour wise, this is age related? Cannot find any images of an apparently red legged White-tailed whilst searching, odd but I guess there is always a first time!

Hmm, I don't see the legs as red, but as a slightly-orange yellow, which is a fine color for any number of buteo species. This bird does not look like the juv White-taileds with which I'm familiar, but I have experience with the species only in US and Mexico. It is very long-winged and that should be an excellent clue, because there aren't all that many very long-winged species that, from the plumage features, this beast could be. It's not a Swainson's Hawk (for lots of obvious reasons), but I don't know what other options of long-winged buteos would be present locally.

Hmmm, I see the legs as orange to the red side. Apart from that I do not want to comment too much, but maybe birds in the US and in Brazil are not all that similar -- other species with a similar range has been split recently.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back