• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk in Louisiana (1 Viewer)

I believe this is a Red-tailed Hawk, but is there anyway to confirm without the rest of the bird in the photo?
Taken near Shreveport Louisiana today 8-8-21. thanks in advanceIMG_1878 (2).JPG

Well there are no black stripes across its belly so I'm ruling out Red-tailed. Possibly an immature Red-shouldered Hawk?

Doesn't seem to have dark leading edge to the inner part of the underwing, which would rule out red-tailed hawk.
Pattern of underparts and wing-coverts doesn't seem to fit red-shouldered hawk.
That sort of leaves broad-winged hawk, and the whitish underparts and plain wing-coverts seem to fit that.

I could be wrong, but I think the wing-edge we're seeing here is the part that's distal to the ulna. The patagial bar doesn't have to extend that far, so not being able to see it doesn't rule out red-tail.

It's not a red-shouldered, but breast and belly are very pale for either red-tail or broad-wing... I'll pass.

I could be wrong, but I think the wing-edge we're seeing here is the part that's distal to the ulna.
No, you're quite right. Can't think what I was thinking! So I think it probably is red-tailed hawk; from memory, the head pattern is right, and I never take much notice of (the absence of) the belly-band feature. Its big bill fits.

No, you're quite right. Can't think what I was thinking! So I think it probably is red-tailed hawk; from memory, the head pattern is right, and I never take much notice of (the absence of) the belly-band feature. Its big bill fits.
Red-tailed for me, too. I think the belly band is just visible, though plenty reduced. All else fits Redtail, like you say.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back