• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hazel Doormouse reintroduced. (1 Viewer)

What is the survival rate? How does that compare with wild-bred individuals?

Are the releases into improving or deteriorating habitat? Given that the reintroductions are necessitated by Dormouse (one "o") loss, what are the criteria for judging that the habitat will now support a population?

When does the project anticipate completing its release work, since that must be a success criterion?

(I'll be honest, I don't think this is a successful project, just a long-running one.)

John

What is the survival rate? How does that compare with wild-bred individuals?

Are the releases into improving or deteriorating habitat? Given that the reintroductions are necessitated by Dormouse (one "o") loss, what are the criteria for judging that the habitat will now support a population?

When does the project anticipate completing its release work, since that must be a success criterion?

(I'll be honest, I don't think this is a successful project, just a long-running one.)

John
I wonder if this is the same project?

I wonder if this is the same project?

Yes, its more PTES work. It would be interesting to see reports on what has happened in the places where the first hundred Dormice of the thousand to date were released: increase, stable, disappeared (again). Presumably there is monitoring.

John

As of 2016 the programme had released Dormice at 26 sites in 12 counties. Of these, 5 reintroduced populations have since died out while others have "achieved varying criteria of success, such as breeding or dispersing beyond the site to new areas".

So approximately 20% of the effort had at that time proved a complete failure (and more than that, speaks to an inability to identify sites ready for reintroduction). I didn't see anything about learning from experience or improved identification of success factors arising from the environment at prospective sites to generate a higher success rate (and I would like to know more quantitative measures of success than "tick - breeding" or "tick - dispersal": how much, how successful, population increase/stable/decrease over time and so on).

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back