• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW Alive transition (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
See today's Birdquest E-newsletter 31, here:
We have learnt that HBW Alive will transition in early 2020 to become Birds of the World and ...
James, how will this affect the dear HBW Alive Key ... ?!?

Any trouble in sight?

Björn
--

Last edited:
See today's Birdquest E-newsletter 31, here:
Quote:
We have learnt that HBW Alive will transition in early 2020 to become Birds of the World and ...
James, how will this affect the dear HBW Alive Key ... ?!?
https://birdsoftheworld.org/
10,721 species accounts
integrates content from several renowned ornithological resources, including Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive, ....

"Several key pieces of functionality will be implemented at a later date:

Ornithological Notes
Etymology of scientific bird names from James A. Jobling’s book, “Dictionary of scientific bird names”
Original HBW Family Accounts
Geographical Filters"

I guess, we'll just have to wait a while. Hope it's not going to be too long

"Several key pieces of functionality will be implemented at a later date:

Ornithological Notes
Etymology of scientific bird names from James A. Jobling’s book, “Dictionary of scientific bird names”
Original HBW Family Accounts
Geographical Filters"

I guess, we'll just have to wait a while. Hope it's not going to be too long
Hopefully they will implement/use the Etymology of scientific bird names from Jobling’s (far more updated) HBW Alive Key (to Scientific Names in Ornithology), thus not the ditto/s from the book “Dictionary of scientific bird names” (Helm, 2010). Much have happened since, ... ;)

We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Björn

/B
-

Last edited:
I hope we could consult the description sheets of each species as we can do on HBW
If you mean the 'Taxonomy' tab of hbw.com species pages (with alternative names and species/subspecies names listed with authorship and a concise range statement), there are currently no such 'sheets' in birdsoftheworld.org at all.
(In some of the species accounts that are in 'free preview', e.g., Cyanolanius madagascarinus or Opisthocomus hoazin, the authors of the names currently do not even seem to be cited anywhere in the accounts. In others they are cited, with a variable amount of associated info, in the Systematics / "Systematics history" page. But not in a concise, checklist-like way, as they were of hbw.com, and you need to pay to see this page for all the species.)

Some split species, e.g. Otus cyprius, are not included.
This is Clements. (Among the 'big taxonomies', only IOC split Otus cyprius, I think.)

What a scam .. If a site offers a world birds list without the possibility of consulting each species description, such a site doesn't merit to exist

On top of that, they dare to put the bluethroat and the white-bellied redstart in genus Luscinia rather than Cyanecula and Hodgsonius respectively, it's a shame, a real taxonomic suicide

Last edited:
I'm going to have to manually write all the synonyms of each genre before closing of hbw...

Which is the best site giving the geographical distributions?

Last edited:
There is one question. There is still the possibility to subscribe at HBW Alive. So what will happen to the new subscription when HBW Alive will be closed? You need an extra subscription for Birds of the World after March 11, 2020 and the only payment method is via credt card. So Birds of the World will be nothing for me because I don't have a credit card and I will never have one.

This recent development is indeed very unfortunate. The free taxonomy information on HBW Alive is no longer free in the new project. Even for the paying customers, the pricing is much expensive now: $49 per year for the new project vs. $32.5 per year (+$22.5 one-time registration fee) for the HBW Alive.

There is still the possibility to subscribe at HBW Alive.

And no, there is no possibility to subscribe to HBW Alive (I found the pricing I cited above in Google cache which will disappear soon).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back