• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW Illustrated Checklist (1 Viewer)

Robert, lots of discussion here: www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=242240.

But spread across ~400 posts! Best to start with most recent...

Pooh! Thanks for the link and for the warning! Definitely more than what I had bargained for. :eek!:

Still need to figure out how much of this I will need to digest, but first I need to get the book. It seems that it has been around and distributed widely for several weeks then?

I had ordered my copy very late, so I may be at the tail of the mailing list.

Last edited:
I've ordered that book via a German intermediate dealer and he write that the shipment for German customers will be not before September.

I think I was unusually lucky with my order (direct from Lynx) this time – my copy arrived on 29th July. So any comments on the checklist as finally published are in posts #311+ in the other thread.

Slow mailing

I've ordered that book via a German intermediate dealer and he write that the shipment for German customers will be not before September.

It's early September now, and I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. So mailing these books takes them way over a month, it seems!

I received mine yesterday. I ordered it roughly 1 week ago (not more).
I like it (my review-writing skills are a bit lacking I know!). You will like it.

I am still contemplating writing notes in the book. My better half told me I shouldn't do that in a book this expensive...

I am still contemplating writing notes in the book. My better half told me I shouldn't do that in a book this expensive...

Guess mail to the out-of-EU Switzerland takes longer? It will be held up at customs where they have to decide whether it can pass without a charge or not.

Anyway, I'll certainly write into the book as I ordered it to compile my life list as far as possible. At this point, I have no idea how many species I have seen. In recent years, I usually added some markers in my field guide books. But the trips made before there were any decent FGs for an area (like Costa Rica in 1971, or Peru in 2000) need some more work, trying to extract the info from my notes. The only problem is that I will only be able to do this for the birds covered by Volume 1. So 2016 will - at best - be the time when I get the desired overview.

My intermediate dealer made a collective order because many customers preordered that book via his bookstore. He send the order to Lynx last Friday. Maybe I will got my copy in about two or three weeks.

My intermediate dealer made a collective order because many customers preordered that book via his bookstore. He send the order to Lynx last Friday. Maybe I will got my copy in about two or three weeks.
Melanie, does your intermediary offer a better price than the Lynx pre-publication offer (making the long delay worthwhile)?

Melanie, does your intermediary offer a better price than the Lynx pre-publication offer (making the long delay worthwhile)?

No, I've asked him to order that book already in May but I didn't know (until last week) that he wanted to make a collective order and that he waited until the last day of the pre-publication offer before he send the order to Lynx.

No, I've asked him to order that book already in May but I didn't know (until last week) that he wanted to make a collective order and that he waited until the last day of the pre-publication offer before he send the order to Lynx.
In other words your intermediate dealer lacks in consumer service.

Still hesitating to order it, now.

Time is passing, and I'm still waiting for my copy. Have not had too hard a time while waiting, however. But it would definitely be nice to actually be able to leaf through this volume.

Time is passing, and I'm still waiting for my copy. Have not had too hard a time while waiting, however. But it would definitely be nice to actually be able to leaf through this volume.
I couldn´t longer hesitate, ordered on September 15th, already shipped, arriving monday o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back