• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Helinaia (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
As part of an attempt to determine the correct stem of type genera of available family-group name, I came across this name, for which the etymology suggested in the Key appears entirely different from what is given in the OD:
Helinaia Audubon 1839 [OD] [The Key]
(Type genus of the group name Halinaiae Ridgway 1902 [OD].)
(10 originally included nominal species; no original type fixation; type species, by subsequent designation of Gray 1841 [here], "H. vermivora (Lath.) Aud." = Sylvia vermivora Latham 1790 [here] = Motacilla vermivora Gmelin 1789 [OD].)
(The type was regarded for a while as being Sylvia swainsonii Audubon 1834, however. Including by Ridgway 1902.)
Audubon says:
Name from Ἕλος, a swamp, and Ναιω, to inhabit.

Last edited:

l_raty

laurent raty
Thanks James :t:
The etymology of Audubon's names is not always easy to guess, in part because he did not really follow classical rules. (I'm unclear why there is a connective -i- in the middle of Helinaia, for example; at first sight and without Audubon's explicit statement, given the genitive ἑλεος, I'd have excluded ἑλος as a source for this name.)

Users who are viewing this thread