• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello all - Advice for first scope (1 Viewer)

JC110123

United Kingdom
Hello I was hoping this would be the place to get some advice from some vast experience.

I have been birding for a while with a pair of old binoculars and now want to take the step up to a scope.

I have done some research but the amount of information can be quite daunting.

I have a budget of around £300 for scope and tripod and was wanting on opinions for a good setup.

So far I am thinking either a celestron ultima 80 or trailseeker 80, are these a good entry point?

As far as tripod I have no clue! Open to any links to good quality used equipment.

Thanks for your help,

Josh

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

I see you've posted in the Scopes forum and am sure you'll get some help there.

Hi Josh and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I notice you've also posted in the Equipment forum, and have no doubt someone will soon be along with some ideas for you.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy your time here with us and I'll look forward to hearing your news - Norfolk is a wonderful county for birds isn't it.

Thank you both! Annoyed I only just found this forum so much advice and seems really friendly.

And yes I am very lucky to live in Norfolk lots of great opportunities very close to home.

Hi Josh,
Welcome to BF! It is a great community.

No vast experience, but a word of caution.
Scopes are a PIA, albeit a necessary evil when scanning a shoreline or a distant vista.
They are bulky and clunky, need an even more bulky and clunky tripod plus a head with probably incompatible fitting to work properly.
Then their presence detracts from the rest of your birding walk.

So be sure that a scope is what you really want, maybe a better glass would be more useful. But if a scope is the choice, then look carefully at the tripods sub forum and Ebay for possible bargain supports.
The scope should be the accessory on the tripod, not vice versa, because the best scope is useless on a wobbly support..

Hi there and a warm welcome to you (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back