• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hello All (1 Viewer)

IDidiot

United States
I'm fairly new to birding. I live close to a wildlife preserve on the Central Gulf Coast of Florida where I kayak at least 3 times a week. I joined as there are times I can't ID a bird and I'd love some help. Like this little one... about 4" tall, when walking it bobs its tail up and down - a lot. I see them around the canals just inside the mangroves next to water.

Attachments

• what12-3sm.jpg
    what12-3sm.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 19

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi IDidiot and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum as I think you'll get a quicker response from the members there. I think it's a sandpiper species but not sure what you have in your area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

IDidiot

United States
Hi IDidiot and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum as I think you'll get a quicker response from the members there. I think it's a sandpiper species but not sure what you have in your area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Delia,
I'm pretty sure it is a sandpiper and not a plover... but there are so many kinds. The ones around here don't have speckles, so I'm flummoxed.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi IDidiot! I cannot tell you what you have there but I can wish you a warm welcome to BirdForum.

Please join in wherever you like ;)

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Lovely Spotted Sandpiper as Larry says.

Btw Welcome to Birdforum - I used to do a lot of kayaking, it’s a great way to see birds! (I’m sure you’re not an IDidiot 😉)

IDidiot

United States
Thank you! It was the lack of speckles that was throwing me off. And I appreciate the warm welcome as well.

IDidiot

United States
I have another one I'd love to know about. It was near the shore on the Gulf (Central Florida). It is a little smaller than a mallard and dives for food.

Attachments

• 1115what2.jpg
    1115what2.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread