• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello everyone from Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

My pair of MoDos started nesting in my hanging balcony plant the day my husband past away on June 19, 2015. Since that summer they were coming every year, sometimes 2x even 3x/ season and I started watching them .
Last year I decide to have installed the wall A/C and I really don’t know why, but they started building their nest on top of it, which wasn’t very successful for them, because it’s very narrow, smooth and everything they were bringing there kept falling down. So they gave up on it and disappeared which made me really said. I was sure they won’t be coming back anymore. But they did ! this May they tried again to build their nest there, of course with the same result. I wanted them to stay, so I put some peaces of paper towel and dry peat moss in the shallow plant saucer and placed it on top of the A/C unit ( actually my granddaughter put it there for me ). And make the story short, they are sitting on their eggs there now. I am watching them every day and when I came to my balcony today I have seen one of them just entering the nest ( saucer ) and then I noticed that he/she was having egg in a wide open beak and flu away with it towards the tree area which is surrounding our building. Came back in a few minutes, entered the nest and is continuing sitting on them. I wish I had my phone on me that I could take a picture of it…… but I didn’t, so that made me to google what I have just seen……and that brought me to birdforum.net , and when I‘ve read someone’s comment that doves are not able to move their eggs, I thought I should post what just happened on my balcony.

Hi Balcony MoDo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

How lovely for you to have these doves nesting on your balcony.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I sure would not expect a Dove to move an egg with its beak and I wish you had your phone handy too ;)

I'm wondering if a Cowbird went and laid an egg in their nest. They are known for that and the Dove realized it and removed it.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

I sure would not expect a Dove to move an egg with its beak and I wish you had your phone handy too ;)

I'm wondering if a Cowbird went and laid an egg in their nest. They are known for that and the Dove realized it and removed it.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)
I don’t know how big is a dove egg, the one ”my “ dove was tak away was approximately 3-4 cm ( just my guess ) . I have a feeling that you are questioning what I saw, but I normally don’t bring my phone to balcony, I just go there to water my plants and relax. And even if I had my phone with me, I am not sure I would be able to take a picture ……it happened so quickly ……Most of the times I just hear them or see a part of the tail over the saucer edge. The only picture I took was 6 years ago, when I found them in my hanging flower basket.

Attachments

• 5B828F5A-881C-4F82-9E58-7E6EC332523F.jpeg
    5B828F5A-881C-4F82-9E58-7E6EC332523F.jpeg
    933.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back