• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello Everyone (1 Viewer)

Members please suggest. Which one to chose from Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 or Zeiss Conquest 8x42 for primarily birding watching and also for sight seeing and Star gazing Monarch HG 8x42 im getting is apporx 150 USD cheaper but price does not matter, Build and quality does. Thanks

Hi adeel and welcome to BirdForum. Sorry. Can’t help with your choice as I’ve not liked through either. Both seem to be well regarded on the forum though.

Good luck with your choice.

Rich

Hi Adeel and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

Meanwhile I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Members please suggest. Which one to chose from Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 or Zeiss Conquest 8x42 for primarily birding watching and also for sight seeing and Star gazing Monarch HG 8x42 im getting is apporx 150 USD cheaper but price does not matter, Build and quality does. Thanks

Both are good choices for the usages you envisage.
The Nikon is a bit better at night because of its flat field, but the Zeiss is a wonderful instrument as well.
The Nikon offers you one of the widest fields for a 8x42, the Zeiss exhibits excellent central sharpness.
Some people have „kidney beaning“ issues (black shadows at the edge of the field of view) with the 8x42 model of the Conquest (I have found a method to overcome that issue).
Again, these are both good binoculars, and one way or another, you will have to try them and compare which suits you better, everybody‘s eyes and face anatomy are different.

Canip

Hi, Adeel! Welcome to Bird Forum. Where in the heck is Lucknow? Those are two nice binocular's you have picked and the 8x42 format is probably the best all around format for most birder's. Optically they are very close but the Nikon has a few advantages that would make me lean toward's it especially for you. The Nikon is lighter and smaller so for a lady carrying them in the field that could be important. The Nikon weigh's 23.5 oz. and the Zeiss is 28 oz. and the Nikon is smaller in overall dimension's also so it would fit smaller hand's better. That might not sound like a lot of difference in weight but you would be surprised how much heavier the Zeiss will feel at the end of a long day birding! Another big advantage of the Nikon is it's much larger FOV which is 435 feet @1000yds. versus the much narrower FOV of the Zeiss which is 384 feet@1000yds. The Nikon will give you a much bigger picture window and make it easier to follow, as well as, find those pesky little bird's your looking for. The ergonomic's and other aspect's of the binocular's are hard to evaluate without actually trying the two binoculars. If you could find a way to try them yourself that would be best but I think you would prefer the Nikon MHG 8x42 based on the above factor's. Good Luck whichever pair you pick!

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Both are nice bins, the Zeiss is very sturdy and has been torture tested on youtube to a point most of us would be crying...

I personally would take the Nikon as it has a wider field and field flattening (especially nice when stargazing).

Both offer enough eye relief for use with glasses - the Zeiss maybe even a bit too much - some users without glasses had problems with kidneybeaning (dark shadows in the field, usually caused by the eye being too close to the eyelens).
Zeiss did provide longer eyecups for free when asked - although I am not sure if everybody has tried to get them in India.

Joachim

There are two ways (maybe more?):

1. Zeiss supplies modified eyecups upon request which extend a bit further and help avoid the kidney beaning.

2. (and this is what I do) Instead of holding the eyecups into my eye sockets, I hold them against my eyebrows and thereby increase th distance between the eyepieces and my eyes. Not everyone likes doing that, as you get some light from the sides into your eyes, but I actually prefer that method.

Last edited:
There are two ways (maybe more?):

1. Zeiss supplies modified eyecups at request which extend a bit further and help avoid the kidney beaning.

2. (and this is what I do) Instead of holding the eyecups into my eye sockets, I hold them against my eyebrows and thereby increase th distance between the eyepieces and my eyes. Not everyone likes doing that, as you get some light from the sides into your eyes, but I actually prefer that method.

Ok. Thanks for information, Is the issue with 8x32 and 10x42 too?

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Both are nice bins, the Zeiss is very sturdy and has been torture tested on youtube to a point most of us would be crying...

I personally would take the Nikon as it has a wider field and field flattening (especially nice when stargazing).

Both offer enough eye relief for use with glasses - the Zeiss maybe even a bit too much - some users without glasses had problems with kidneybeaning (dark shadows in the field, usually caused by the eye being too close to the eyelens).
Zeiss did provide longer eyecups for free when asked - although I am not sure if everybody has tried to get them in India.

Joachim

Thanks for the information, Im in Norway right now so will check :)

Hi, Adeel! Welcome to Bird Forum. Where in the heck is Lucknow? Those are two nice binocular's you have picked and the 8x42 format is probably the best all around format for most birder's. Optically they are very close but the Nikon has a few advantages that would make me lean toward's it especially for you. The Nikon is lighter and smaller so for a lady carrying them in the field that could be important. The Nikon weigh's 23.5 oz. and the Zeiss is 28 oz. and the Nikon is smaller in overall dimension's also so it would fit smaller hand's better. That might not sound like a lot of difference in weight but you would be surprised how much heavier the Zeiss will feel at the end of a long day birding! Another big advantage of the Nikon is it's much larger FOV which is 435 feet @1000yds. versus the much narrower FOV of the Zeiss which is 384 feet@1000yds. The Nikon will give you a much bigger picture window and make it easier to follow, as well as, find those pesky little bird's your looking for. The ergonomic's and other aspect's of the binocular's are hard to evaluate without actually trying the two binoculars. If you could find a way to try them yourself that would be best but I think you would prefer the Nikon MHG 8x42 based on the above factor's. Good Luck whichever pair you pick!

Lucknow is India, However since one year im in Stavanger in Norway. Will change details in profile. Thnx for info, One question though Zeiss 8x32 vs 8x42, which on do u prefer ? Is there a huge difference in their low light capability is 8x32 more shaky?

Hi Adeel and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

Meanwhile I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Lucknow is India, However since one year im in Stavanger in Norway. Will change details in profile. Thnx for info, One question though Zeiss 8x32 vs 8x42, which on do u prefer ? Is there a huge difference in their low light capability is 8x32 more shaky?
Actually, I use the Nikon EDG's in 8x32 and 8x42. If I could only keep one it would be the 8x42 because it take's in 50% more light than the 8x32 so it is brighter in low light situation's but in the daytime you probably won't notice any difference and it has a bigger exit pupil of 5mm so it is easier to center the eye over the image making eye placement easier. The 8x32 though has the advantage of being smaller, lighter and having a slightly bigger FOV. So if you bird primarily in the daytime and you are not under jungle canopy you might prefer the 8x32 especially if you are hiking all day with it. It is nice to have them both depending on where and what type of birding you are doing.

Last edited:
Actually, I use the Nikon EDG's in 8x32 and 8x42. If I could only keep one it would be the 8x42 because it take's in 50% more light than the 8x32 so it is brighter in low light situation's but in the daytime you probably won't notice any difference and it has a bigger exit pupil of 5mm so it is easier to center the eye over the image making eye placement easier. The 8x32 though has the advantage of being smaller, lighter and having a slightly bigger FOV. So if you bird primarily in the daytime and you are not under jungle canopy you might prefer the 8x32 especially if you are hiking all day with it. It is nice to have them both depending on where and what type of birding you are doing.

Thank u so much fot clarifying. Will go with Monarch HG 8x42. :)

Thank u so much fot clarifying. Will go with Monarch HG 8x42. :)

Hi,

I think they are the better option of the two, especially for astro under dark skies - and they weight about 30g more than the Zeiss Conquest 8x32...

Please let us know how you like them!

Joachim

Hi,

I think they are the better option of the two, especially for astro under dark skies - and they weight about 30g more than the Zeiss Conquest 8x32...

Please let us know how you like them!

Joachim

Sure i will but i heard the seller told me that Monarch HG are 100 gms. lighter than Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back