• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from a bird podcaster/field recordist/nature guide in Canada (1 Viewer)

I'm Rob, a naturalist and birder in southern Ontario. For about ten years now I've been guiding naturalist outings in southern Ontario, and on the board of the Hamilton Naturalists' Club.

I in the past few years I've been doing a lot of field recordings (audio), and producing numerous podcasts focused on this, such as Songscapes (a mix of automated bioacoustics recordings and live field recordings), and Songbirding (an audio guided birding tour). I'm also going to be getting into live-streaming birding (in the field) & birding topics (in-studio) on Twitch later this year as I build up the tech and figure out the best setups.

I also manage a citizen science bioacoustics project for the Hamilton Naturalists', where we place AudioMoths and Cornell Swifts out in our properties and in the properties of like-minded organizations, then feed all the recordings into machine learning to find out what was heard. When we started in 2018 I reviewed all the recordings by spectrogram, and in the course of a year learned a ton from this, which helped in the podcast production process immensely! I also have recently starting doing some annotation work with Merlin Sound ID, to help train it how to better recognize birds.

You can find me on Twitter as well as @rgeraldporter.

👋

Hi Rob and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you. (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi, Rob. Just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back