• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from a newcomer to the hobby (1 Viewer)

buggybill2003

United Kingdom
Hello, I`m Bill, aged 63 and new to the interest of bird watching/spotting. I am a complete novice and apologise for any annoying questions I might ask innocently.
I`m a big lover of wagtails, love them really and would love to attract them although it seems like I might have to give up on that one, which is a shame. I have set up some new feeders, probably too many if I`m honest, and so far no takers, but I`ll keep patient.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Everyone has to learn so I'm sure there will be no annoying questions! It does take time for birds to find and get used to new feeders so you are right to be patient.

Hi Bill and a warm welcome from me too.

It took a few months for the birds to find my window feeder, but now it's pretty busy. Yes.... wagtails are such fun to watch... you may need plenty of flies to attract them though LOL, or a fast running rocky stream for the Grey Wagtail might do the trick ;)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi there Bill and a warm welcome to you(y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum. I'm a new member too and have been interested in birds for many years as well and I'd recommend putting a birdbath in the garden somewhere as I've always found it attracts all types quickly. Doesn't have to be fancy, last year I made my own from two large stacked terra cotta pots with a round pot base on the top. Here are a couple of remote wifi camera photos of the visitors I got.

1610581318051.png 1610581371963.png
Left the Common Myna and right the Streak-Eared Bulbul.

All the best

Hi Bill, Wagtails are not a bird that comes the feeders, they might pick some of the scraps up but they are after live foods mostly, I got one a Gray on a dam wall yesterday and it looked like it was finding quite a lot down there i will see about posting a picture sadly its late now.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back