• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Bristol (1 Viewer)

Bainbridge

United Kingdom
Hi birders, newbie here!

I've always been an animal lover, but when we temporarily moved into a 3rd floor flat on a busy main road in Bristol, after living in the suburbs for so long with the countryside on our doorstep, there wasn't much wildlife easily observable apart from the birds.

I set up a feeder on the window reveal and sure enough, the birds came, and over the next 2 years they even brought their young to feed! It was great being able to observe them from less than 6 feet away, we had:

Blue tits
Coal tits
Goldfinches
Robins

Once we had a huge sparrow swoop in and feed, which we later learned was likely to have been a tree sparrow!

Anyway, we bought our own house and moved into the suburbs in May. I set the feeder up, hoping to see some different species but it's been ignored :( There aren't many cats but there were a colony of Jackdaws nesting in a house opposite, while has several holes in the fascia. I think the smaller birds darent go near them. I do miss identifying and observing them.

I'll keep putting food out and hopefully I'll get some action sooner rather than later.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Bainbrdge and welcome to BirdForum. What made you think Tree Sparrow. They’re so hard to get here in South Wales. Though weirdly a few years ago I nipped in to see my mates parents (just outside of Tonmawr) and they had a few visiting their feeders.

Rich

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

It can take time for birds to find and get used to new feeders so don’t give up! I doubt the jackdaws will affect the smaller birds.

Hi Bainbridge and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Well done putting that window feeder up... though I'm jealous of the Goldfinch - I rarely see them here. Though never on my window feeder.

As for you new situation, it won't be anything to do with the Jackdaws, as I have them here too and also lots of little birds, House Sparrows, Blue, Great, Coal Tits, Robins, Dunnock, Starling, Blackbirds, Wrens, Crows and Rooks. But it took months for anything to arrive!

I don't know why your birds aren't coming in, but if you post in the Garden Bird forum and show them a picture of the area, I'm sure you'll get some good ideas on how things may be improved to attract them.

Good luck.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will be seeing birds in your yard again soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back