• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Dubuque, Iowa! (1 Viewer)

powerspa

Hi, during the Covid lockdown this spring, I found my self sitting on the deck watching the birds in my yard. I decided to feed them and doing online research, and soon found myself with a dozen bird feeders and hundreds of birds! I live in a small city, near a park, and was amazed at the variety of birds that I was attracting. More sparrows and starlings than I would like, but also finches, blue jays, cardinals and lot's of woodpeckers.

I am hooked now, but not so sure my neighbors like it. They do some vegetable gardening, and have recently set-up two scarecrows and a really authentic looking owl to discourage the birds, but it isn't working very well.

I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge and with the change of season, perhaps some help identifying new birds. Here is one I'd like to share to start out. So far, it sounds like I have a leucitic sparrow on my hands. If you disagree, please reply!

Attachments

• 1600x1200.jpg
    1600x1200.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 14
Hi powerspa and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I agree, that does look like a female House Sparrow with a degree of leucism. It's always nice to have one around, as it means you can get to know an individual much easier. Hope she gets on OK.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the east coast.

As I mentioned to you earlier in your ID post, yes, it is a leucistic sparrow and I quite like the change of colors on this Sparrow ;)

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back