• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Germany (1 Viewer)

anderl

Germany
I am glad to find this forum. As fas as I can remember I have always been interested in animals, and since several years specially in swifts and swallows. Here in Germany we only have two kinds of swifts, the common swift and in the southern part also the bigger alpine swift. Since 2016 I tried to establish a new colony of common swifts in our house gable, and finally had success in 2020 with a first pair, last year we already had two breeding pairs and hopefully our small colony will keep growing.

Hello everyone!

Hi anderl and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Oh very well done. I do so hope this colony thrives.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there anderl and a warm welcome to you. Sounds as though you will thrive with your Swift colony so keep us updated if you don't mind ;)

I am glad to find this forum. As fas as I can remember I have always been interested in animals, and since several years specially in swifts and swallows. Here in Germany we only have two kinds of swifts, the common swift and in the southern part also the bigger alpine swift. Since 2016 I tried to establish a new colony of common swifts in our house gable, and finally had success in 2020 with a first pair, last year we already had two breeding pairs and hopefully our small colony will keep growing.

Hello everyone!
Hi, and welcome! A few years ago, I had common swifts nesting right above my front door, in the roof eaves, lasted for 5 summers, sadly, the eave was repaired, and they didn't return, it was great watching/listening to them every morning and evening....... enjoy!

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Harrybongo, in Germany it is forbidden to destroy the nests of swifts or swallows, and if a refurbishment of a house is planned the owners need to wait until the birds finish their breeding season. If the nests cannot be conserved, in exchange alternatives need to be installed. Unfortunately many people do not know this rule (or ignore it on purpose). Common and alpine swifts are extremely bound to their breeding area and return reliably every year - so losing their nests is a disaster for the former residents. Though it is so easy to install nesting boxes which common swifts easily accept. When they return the following year they are very enduring in searching the entrance of their old nesting site, so if a proper nesting box is placed near the locked entrance most likely they will move in.

Perhaps you already know the fantastic web page of Swift Conservation where many examples and projects are collected, and to the German-speaking users I would like to recommend the page Mauersegler ansiedeln (part of a forum that I help to maintain - hopefully it is allowed to put the links, if not please delete them).

Last edited:
Thanks for your warm welcome!

Harrybongo, in Germany it is forbidden to destroy the nests of swifts or swallows, and if a refurbishment of a house is planned the owners need to wait until the birds finish their breeding season. If the nests cannot be conserved, in exchange alternatives need to be installed. Unfortunately many people do not know this rule (or ignore it on purpose). Common and alpine swifts are extremely bound to their breeding area and return reliably every year - so losing their nests is a disaster for the former residents. Though it is so easy to install nesting boxes which common swifts easily accept. When they return the following year they are very enduring in searching the entrance of their old nesting site, so if a proper nesting box is placed near the locked entrance most likely they will move in.

Perhaps you already know the fantastic web page of Swift Conservation where many examples and projects are collected, and to the German-speaking users I would like to recommend the page Mauersegler ansiedeln (part of a forum that I help to maintain - hopefully it is allowed to put the links, if not please delete them).
Hi, Anderl. Thanks for your reply. Sadly, in England, as far as I know, we don't have that rule! I was a tenant at the time, and didn't even know that the eaves were going to be repaired! I have since, moved to another property, just around the corner, and pass my old tenancy regularly, sadly, I see very few swifts these days! There is a petition happening, at the moment, to have all new houses/properties to be built, fitted with a 'swift brick' . Hopefully, that will be put through, and become the norm, and the swift population, will flourish again!

All the best.

Harry

Hi Harry, the idea of the petition regarding "swift bricks" is very good! Since several years the population of swifts is decreasing steadily, mainly because of missing nesting opportunities.

Hi Harry, the idea of the petition regarding "swift bricks" is very good! Since several years the population of swifts is decreasing steadily, mainly because of missing nesting opportunities.
Hi. Yes, a sad decline here too! hopefully, it will be put through!

All the best

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back