• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Maine - Chipmunk problem (1 Viewer)

Memmartin

I am a new member and new to bird watching. I need some help and was searching the internet and saw this group and thought it would be a good place to start. I am having trouble with chipmunks. I have purchased squirrel resistent feeders, does not work for chipmunks (too light compared to squirrels, though they may eventually find me too). I read that garlic would deter them, put that out (cloves on the ground and a few on the feeder itself) but then read that might deter birds as well - is this true? The garlic didn't work for the chipmunk, it tossed them off the feeded. I'm actually more concerned that he'll damage the feeder and they are not cheap. I realy that if you can't beat them join them, feed them. Thinking of doing that - but need to make sure I feed them far away and in a way that they just can't gorge themselves - I am looking into adding baffles as well, the problem is that the location of my feeders are near my house (front and back) so that I can see them (don't have many large trees), but they can certain jump in the shrubs, etc. I have suet feeders - they haven't messed with them, and thistle feeders which they are not to keen on, yet. Of course they like the sunflower seeds best. Any advice to a newbie? Perhaps I just need to move them to the middle of the yard, but I thought the birds would like the santuary of the shrubs around them. Thank you!

I'm new to formums as well so not exactly sure how this all works. I ordered a book of eastern birds, bird bath/with solar water sprout; and going to get myself some binoculars - any recommends for those? 12X is what I'm looking at on Amazon.

Hi Memmartin and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I moved your post to the Food and Feeders forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

I'm sure there'll be someone along soon with some advice for you, as your fellow countrymen begin to surface.

Regarding binoculars, you would be better to post in the Binocular forum, where they have plenty of expertise in this field. They would likely want to know what your budget is to give you the best advice. 12x binoculars can be quite heavy, but it depends on the type of birdwatching you are most likely going to be doing (backyard, woodland, sea watching etc)

Hello from Maine

Thank you Delia. Just backyard watching - prefer light weight. The binoculars that I was looking at on Amazon range from $35 to $45. I apologize for posting in wrong forum - have not yet learned by way around.

I just ordered two Ultrasonic repellers. I read they work - but I'm also waiting for response that will not hurt the birds. They are low to the ground, and one comment I read said they did not. If not gone in 48 hours - money back - so we'll see. Perhaps someone in the group has tried them and will have some advise. Guess I'm feeling a bit desperate - was looking forward to retirement and enjoying the birds (I still will) but just don't want the chipmunks to destroy the feeders. My next plan is to get them their own feeder, but then what is to stop them from still coming back to my bird feeders. They are cute - but destructive in many ways.

Hi again Memmartin, you didn't "post in the wrong forum" really, but I thought moving your post to this one would save you the trouble of writing it all again LOL. This is a big forum and it can take a while to learn all that's here.

I know nothing about binoculars really (except I look through the small end;)). You're better off telling the guys in the Optics forums that I gave you the link for in my other post. They're very knowledgeable and will give you the best advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back