• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hello from NC (1 Viewer)

Hey everyone! I have long lurked the forums here learning mostly about optics/binoculars, but have a genuine interest in birdwatching too. But I know next to nothing about the subject, so I decided to make an account and learn more.
For my job I fly the F-15E known as the "Strike Eagle" for the USAF, hence the screenname. I initially got into optics because of my love of the night sky, but found a genuine interest in optical systems and how they work, and the tradeoffs involved in their design. My wife and I somewhat suddenly got interested in birds when we turned 30 a few years ago. So it's a nice confluence of interests at play.
I am particularly interested in Raptors. One of my favorites to watch are the beautiful Swallow-Tailed Kites, and everytime we see them we dutifully report our sighting to the Center for Birds of Prey, which has a center near my hometown near Charleston SC, as they collect data on the birds.
I am looking to purchase a new pair of binoculars soon to complement our mediocre pair of $200 Alpen 8x42. Looking at the Conquest HD 42mm, or potentially trying to stretch the budget to the Swaro SLC before they go out of stock everywhere, but the budget is unlikely to allow that.
I'll be sure to report my experiences finding birds with my new binoculars when it happens!
Thanks for having me!

-Matt

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there Matt and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach :).
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Matt and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread