• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from SE Virginia--unusual birds here lately! (1 Viewer)

TerryJ2

United States
Hi all, I live on 3.77 acres on a creek connected to the Chesapeake Bay. We have eagles, herons, ospreys, red-shouldered hawks, red-tailed hawks, cardinals (our state bird) and many others. What I mostly want to know is what are the small black birds with red chests, flocking by the hundreds in my yard? (You should see my car!) I posted on Virginia Wildlife and everyone said I was actually seeing a house finch and not a tanager. No, those are too dull. Someone else from VA just posted on Facebook and showed a photo of the same birds mingling with robins. So I know I am not going crazy. It's a crummy photo but I believe him. He knows what robins are and I can clearly see a few in the photo but not the others. They are jet black with BRIGHT chests. Are they blackbirds--not red-winged but red-breasted? Could they be migrating? I look forward to meeting everyone and "'their" birds. :)

Hi Terry and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Red-breasted Blackbird would seem to me to be well out of range in Virginia, as they come from Central America.

I'll move your post to the ID forum and see if they can help you further.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

By the hundreds? There's really nothing that fits, besides american robins. On color, I would think of an oriole or maybe a breeding male scarlet tanager, but if you take scarlet tanager for example:
1) Not expected within a thousand miles of Virginia this time of year
2) Usually somewhat difficult to find, as they stay high in the trees. If "in my yard" means on the lawn, then this is unexpected behavior
3) Is essentially never seen in large conspecific groups. Usually one is seen at a time; a group of six is a great rarity.

Maybe there's been an introduction of some exotic species lately? (Last time I was this stumped, it was because of bulbuls in Texas. ) But even then, hundreds??

Last edited:
By the hundreds? There's really nothing that fits, besides american robins. On color, I would think of an oriole or maybe a breeding male scarlet tanager, but if you take scarlet tanager for example:
1) Not expected within a thousand miles of Virginia this time of year
2) Usually somewhat difficult to find, as they stay high in the trees. If "in my yard" means on the lawn, then this is unexpected behavior
3) Is essentially never seen in large conspecific groups. Usually one is seen at a time; a group of six is a great rarity.

Maybe there's been an introduction of some exotic species lately? (Last time I was this stumped, it was because of bulbuls in Texas. ) But even then, hundreds??
Thank you connorco and nartreb. It is a distinct possibility that there were only a few in with hundreds of starlings. And yes, we do have robins. The first two with bright red breasts flew within 4 feet of me and the bellies were red, not orange. And too small for a robin. Yes, it's possible that something got loose. I'd be surprised it could survive if it is tropical, though. Our temps have ranged from 29 to 65 in the past two weeks. I thought for sure it was a tanager, but so many people have said it's not possible. Anything is possible. Probable, probably not. :) I will order a higher quality binoculars and hope the mystery birds don't leave too soon! I saw a yellow warbler two days ago, and a cedar waxwing, but those are not rare here. It's so much easier to see the birds without leaves in the trees. Except for my magnolias--I see the branches moving, and beaks coming out for berries, and then when the bird takes off, the sun is in my eyes. I will have to sit for a long time and just wait.

The only other thing I can think of is red-winged blackbirds. From a distance, maybe the red shoulder patches looked like breast spots??

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back