• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Somerset UK & nyjer seed thoughts. (1 Viewer)

DysTom

United Kingdom
Retired Sailor, engineer & Gardener, whose Dyslexia has given me an outside-the-pack view-ability, which is driven mainly by curiosity.
For example I notice in your forum a question relating to the storage of nyjer seed, so here are my thoughts.
Nyjer seed is rich in oil, like coffee, gives it a propensity to go stale once exposed to air.
My suggestion, after sourcing the freshest in a sensible quantity, is to remove most of the air within a re-sealable bag.
My method is place the bag in a a bowl of water with one corner of the seal left open and just above the water, then press seal that corner.
After that freeze, refrigerate or just store in cool place.
Regards Tom

Hi Tom and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Thanks for your thoughts on storing Nyger seeds, I'm sure some of our members might find that useful. You might like to participate in the Garden Birds forum and let them know there too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Tom and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Thanks for your thoughts on storing Nyger seeds, I'm sure some of our members might find that useful. You might like to participate in the Garden Birds forum and let them know there too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Will do so, not great at navigating forums so pointers are appreciated.
Love the country-wide scope of this forum, which of course reflects our wild birds.

Will do so, not great at navigating forums so pointers are appreciated.
Love the country-wide scope of this forum, which of course reflects our wild birds.
This is a large forum, if you need any help in navigating your way around, please don't be afraid to ask Tom.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Tom and welcome to BirdForum. Interesting point on the seed. Donโ€™t think my OH would appreciate me storing it in the freezer. Unless I told her it was a health food :D

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back