• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Southeast Texas (1 Viewer)

Hello,

It is so nice to have found this website!

I moved to New Caney, Texas, a little more than a year ago. I am originally from Orange, Texas, and I don't think you can get more East Texas than that because it borders Louisiana, and the states are divided by the Sabine River. What a lovely sanctuary it is for birds there! But I didn't have much land there and now have a few acres in New Caney. It is so peaceful, I didn't realize how many birds live here and come and go. I am learning about them as the seasons change.

I have seen so many different birds, and I am more curious about migration than ever. There were a few bird houses already, and lots of nests I can see in the trees. I didn't realize that birds may return to the same nests every year.

I put out hummingbird feeders (now I am up to four) and they are absolutely a magnet for them right now. There seems to be a few bullies because they chase each other around the yard. They have the most unique sounds, I didn't realize the sounds were them at first. They are mostly ruby-throated hummingbirds, I think.

Also, several Northern Cardinals have set up nest, and I saw two males simultaneously vying for a female's attention yesterday. In fact, I haven't seen the female sitting on her nest all morning, I can see her in the top of the bush just off of the porch through my living room windows. There are two baby birds in there, and I can see them moving. But could the female have abandoned them? She hasn't been there all morning, I can usually see her red beak peaking through the leaves.

There are also two sets of painted buntings nesting. They are the prettiest birds i have ever seen.

I have also seen Blue jays, but I'm not sure if they nest in my yard or not. They may just come for the black oily sunflowers seeds I put out.

I have seen I think chickadees too.

I hear owls at night, but have no idea what kind they are.

Lots of huge crows and mockingbirds too.

So glad that I found this forum. I would love to learn from all of you (aka y'all). I really do not know much about birds, but am eager to learn!

Thanks for having me on your forum.

Best wishes and happy bird watching,
Theresa

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Theresa and a warm welcome from me too.

You've landed in the right place to learn and it seems to me it's a non-stop process LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back