• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the Antarctic + Germany! (1 Viewer)

apusupa

Oh -- sorry -- the title is half true and half untrue ;) I am a young birder from germany but one of my last projects was the installation of the world's first animal webcam in the Antarctic. With energetic support of some German birders the worldwide first penguin colony webcam on the antarctic continent is online since october 2004.

All about the Gentoo penguin webcam from the antarcitc peninsula you can see on the "penguin part" of my homepage:

=====> [url]http://www.martingrund.de/pinguine/ [/URL]

I made a little page for english speaking visitors too (click the Union Jack)

I am a very interested reader of this forum since a long time. During summer I supervise some school birdcam projects which I started during the last 3 years. It is a very nice + interesting opportunity for environmental education. In several schools I started to establish colonies of the Common swift (Apus apus), a very (!!) fascinating bird. The children love them!!!!! A brief info about that part of my life you can get here:
=====> Swift-Schools

Nature in all aspects is my main interest!

Last edited:
Hello apusupa and a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

Looks as though you are giving much back to the environment. That's a good thing.;)

I've been using the internet for a long time but I still find the concept of webcams spooky. It is amazing to sit in an office in London and click on a link to near live pictures of birds thousands of miles away. Wonderful stuff.

Hello,EVRYBODY!!!I just became a member and I'm REALLY excited.It IS nice to see so many people who enjoy birds.Living in Greece you don' get many of us birders around...

U call those ordinary?Things here are quite diffrent.Common are passer domesticus,streptopelia dekaokto,columba livia,turdus merula...No corvids here and Parus are rare...

Oh,it is still sunny here.The snow up there may be the reason 4 Fringilla Montifrigilla to appear in our region so early this year.

Dimitris said:
Hello,EVRYBODY!!!I just became a member and I'm REALLY excited.It IS nice to see so many people who enjoy birds.Living in Greece you don' get many of us birders around...

Bienvenido Dimitris! Welcome to BF from Argentina.

Hi,

Welocme to Birdforum.

Just had a look at the webcam even at this early hour of our day there is some around.
I can see it is one that I am going to keep a regular check on as Penguins are my favourite.

Well done to you and the other people that made this possible.

Forgot to add there was also a Snowy Sheathbill visiting as well.

Last edited:
Dear Apusupa:

Welcome to the Bird Forum!

Your project sounds so exciting! We are planning to install cameras near our Eagle nests on Tilos. Your experience could be extremely helpful to us. I am looking forward to reading your posts!

Best regards,

Welcome Dimitri!

Dimitris said:

Dear Dimitri:

Welcome to the Bird Forum!

It is good to have another fellow Birder from Greece on the Forum!

Warmest regards,

Welcome from another Antarctophile

Welcome Apusupa to Birdforum.
I followed your links and found them very interesting indeed. That was some big project to get organised and installed down the Antarctic Peninsula. Unfortunately there was no such technology around when I was down there in the early 70s.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back