hello from the birthplace of Chief Seattle

suquamish

Just an introduction to all. My name is Mike and I live in Suquamish, Washington, USA, the birthplace of Chief Seattle. My home is on a cliff overlooking Puget Sound which affords many birdwatching opportunities, and, on one memorable occasion, the chance to view a pod of orcas in the backyard. I have a small town law practice. I have been married for 32 years to a wonderful woman and we have two kids ages 19 and 17. I am 55 yoa. I am most definitely an amateur birdwatcher and have no particular claims to fame in that department. I was born in the UK near Bournemouth but left at the age of 9 and have been a US citizen for many years.I have lived on the East and West sides of the USA. I travelled to Europe in my misspent youth but was after the viewing of different sorts of "birds" than I am now.I also once spent 2 weeks in Brazil although I had no idea as to the birds I was looking at most of the time. I have seen a whooping crane. I am a fisherman and hunter and make no apologies for the latter as I believe that a significant portion of the habitat left exists because of us. I was blessed with wonderful grandparents, including one who was oriented to "nature" in odd and wonderful ways. Although a boy soldier at 15 in '14, with 3 years in France and Belgium including Ypres, the Somme, etc., he, as an adult, would, for example, make his own slides of fleas. He had dozens if not hundreds of such things. The living room mantel always had a collection of various critters in formalin. I still recall his tales of coursing whippets with his father and find that, in a strange way, this connects me to another time. I lament much of the habitat destruction I see going on and find reading my copy of Audubon magazine a bittersweet experience. I belong to the Nature Conservancy but also the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation which is my favorite charity. I joined this forum because I was awed at the level of technical knowledge exhibited by some of the posts re: "bins" and I admit to wanting someone to bounce questions off of on such topics since I am an inveterate ebay prowler. Beyond that, however, I was attracted by the intelligence and my sense that there are others out there who care, in ways much more legitimate than my own feeble thoughts can produce, about things I also care about.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
United States
Hello there Mike and a warm welcome to you from the east coast and on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to tell us a little bit about yourself. Enjoy!