• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the center of the Hessian low mountain range (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I received the NL Pure 8x42 at the end of December. Excited about the huge field of view, I was even more surprised by the increased image sharpness, immediately at the first view out of the kitchen on a piece of tree. With that, the decision was made: I'm buying these binoculars. I have good comparison, 10 binoculars from Leica, Zeiss, Optolyth and the El Swarovision 8.5x42 and 10x50.

I came only in January to take the NL outside at about 3°Celsius. But after looking through the bino for about 45 seconds, the eyepieces started to fog up until I had only mist in front of my eyes. This was a completely new experience for me in the last 25 years.

Explained physically, condensation occurs when my body heat radiates onto the cooled eyepieces. But that's why these lenses are coated with a moisture repellent coating. At Zeiss this is called "Lotu-tec" at Swarovski "Swaroclean", etc..

That's why I made a comparison: I took the new NL and my El 10x50 outdoors a few days later under similar external conditions, temperatures below 4°C. While the process described above repeated itself with the NL, I could look with the EL for 5 minutes continuously without any condensation. I also compared with my other binos several times with the same result. Another experiment is significant: I wetted the eyepieces of the NL and the EL with water and then shook off the water as much as possible. When I then looked for moisture residues, there were water beads on the EL and water puddles on the NL. This is a significance and not a one-time coincidence.

At first I assumed a defect in the coating of my NL until I found some posts on BirdForum that matched my findings. So a serial error??

Therefore my question to you: Has anyone found something like this? Of course with the eyepiece sleeves turned out. When used with glasses, the condensation can not occur because the lenses are hardly irradiated with heat and the air can circulate. I am very grateful for feedback you!!!

Binofriend

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hallo,

Ende Dezember bekam ich das NL Pure 8x42. Gespannt auf das rießige Gesichtsfeld überraschte mich noch mehr die gesteigerte Bildschärfe, sofort beim ersten Blick aus der Küche heraus auf ein Baumstück. Damit war die Entscheidung gefallen: Ich kaufe dieses Fernglas. Ich habe gute Vergleichsmöglichkeiten, 10 Ferngläser von Leica, Zeiss, Optolyth und die El Swarovision 8.5x42 und 10x50.

Ich kam erst im Januar dazu das NL nach draußen mitzunehmen bei etwa 3°Celsius. Doch nachdem ich etwa 45 Sekunden lang durch das Bino schaute, begannen die Okulare zu beschlagen bis ich nur noch Nebel vor den Augen hatte. Das war für mich eine völlig neue Erfahrung in den letzten 25 Jahren.

Physikalisch erklärt, entsteht eine Kondensation, wenn meine Körperwärme auf die abgekühlten Okulare strahlt. Aber deswegen werden diese Linsen mit einer feuchtigkeitsabweisenden Beschichtung versehen. Bei Zeiss wird diese "Lotu-tec" bei Swarovski "Swaroclean", etc. genannt.

Darum machte ich einen Vergleich: Ich nahm einige Tage danach bei ähnlichen äußeren Bedingungen, Temperaturen unter 4°C, das neue NL und mein El 10x50 nach draußen mit. Während beim NL sich der oben beschriebene Vorgang wiederholte, konnte ich problemlos mit dem EL 5 Minuten andauernd ohne jegliche Kondensation schauen. Ich vergleichte auch mit meinen anderen Binos mehrmals mit dem selben Resultat. Ein weiteres Experiment ist aussagekräftig: Ich benetzte die Okulare des NL und des EL mit Wasser und schüttelte darauf das Wasser weitestgehend ab. Als ich dann nach Feutigkeitsrückständen schaute, befanden sich auf dem EL Wasserperlen und auf dem NL Wasserpfützen. Hier liegt eine Signifikanz vor und keine einmalige Zufälligkeit.

Zuerst ging ich von einem Fehler bei der Beschichtung meines NL aus, bis ich im BirdForum einige Beiträge fand, die meinen Feststellungen entsprechen. Also ein Serienfehler??

Darum meine Frage an Euch: Hat jemand entsprechendes festgestellt? Natürlich bei herausgedrehten Okularhülsen. Bei Anwendung mit Brille kann die Kondensation nicht auftreten, weil die Linsen kaum mit Wärme bestrahlt werden und die Luft zirkulieren kann. Ich bin für Rückmeldungen euch sehr dankbar!!

Binofriend

Hi Binofriend and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, as they're better placed to be able to discuss this with you there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

When you have a small, cylindrical, fairly well sealed chamber, with cold glass at one end and moist, warm eyeballs at the other end, some condensation is not really surprising.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back