• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hello from the Cotswolds (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone.

My first time on a bird enthusiasts forum. I know a wee bit about birds, having been on birdwatching trips to Skye and Islay with a very knowledgable friend several years ago - and having built up a collection of bird books from there - but I'm looking forward to learning lots more.

I was lucky enough to have a pair of mock-fighting Peregrines pass over my house during the summer, but I'm (almost) as equally delighted by anything feathered that happens to pass through the garden or local countryside. In the garden this morning, we had the simultaneous visit of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, at the peanuts, and a Green Woodpecker, looking for worms. I never tire of watching them and of being grateful for such visits, especially during recent months.

I'm and ex-designer/photographer and will be gearing up to do some bird photography - I'll probably post on that shortly.

Best wishes for 2021.

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Peregrine Took and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about and will hopefully see some of your pictures in the Gallery too.

Hi Master Took and welcome to BirdForum. Haven’t been to Islay but Skye is a great place for birding.

Rich

Thanks everyone - that was a quick response!

Rich. My birdwatcher friend was cursing my beginners luck, on our visits to Scotland. He'd never seen a Golden Eagle or a male Hen Harrier, but these being my first birdwatching trips, we saw both. In fact one evening we mapped out a plan to find a likely spot for Golden Eagles and set about a five mile walk the next day. Just as we reached the brow of the final hillock, before the rocky crags where we hoped we might find them, three flew over us at about 30 feet. He was in raptures (or is that raptors?)... I pretended for a minute or so to be blase, just to wind him up, but it was something I'll never forget. To top it all, a fourth eagle was perched on the crag looking down on us with a look that said, this is my patch, what are you two doing here? Magical.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Those moments are really special! I'm sure you'll be having a few more too.

Scotland is wonderful, isn't it.

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Staff member
Supporter
Wales
Thanks everyone - that was a quick response!

Rich. My birdwatcher friend was cursing my beginners luck, on our visits to Scotland. He'd never seen a Golden Eagle or a male Hen Harrier, but these being my first birdwatching trips, we saw both. In fact one evening we mapped out a plan to find a likely spot for Golden Eagles and set about a five mile walk the next day. Just as we reached the brow of the final hillock, before the rocky crags where we hoped we might find them, three flew over us at about 30 feet. He was in raptures (or is that raptors?)... I pretended for a minute or so to be blase, just to wind him up, but it was something I'll never forget. To top it all, a fourth eagle was perched on the crag looking down on us with a look that said, this is my patch, what are you two doing here? Magical.
Superb. Moments like that live with you forever. Can’t wait for our next trip back up.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread