• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the Cotswolds (2 Viewers)

Peregrine Took

United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

My first time on a bird enthusiasts forum. I know a wee bit about birds, having been on birdwatching trips to Skye and Islay with a very knowledgable friend several years ago - and having built up a collection of bird books from there - but I'm looking forward to learning lots more.

I was lucky enough to have a pair of mock-fighting Peregrines pass over my house during the summer, but I'm (almost) as equally delighted by anything feathered that happens to pass through the garden or local countryside. In the garden this morning, we had the simultaneous visit of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, at the peanuts, and a Green Woodpecker, looking for worms. I never tire of watching them and of being grateful for such visits, especially during recent months.

I'm and ex-designer/photographer and will be gearing up to do some bird photography - I'll probably post on that shortly.

Best wishes for 2021.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Peregrine Took and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about and will hopefully see some of your pictures in the Gallery too.

Hi Master Took and welcome to BirdForum. Haven’t been to Islay but Skye is a great place for birding.

Rich

Thanks everyone - that was a quick response!

Rich. My birdwatcher friend was cursing my beginners luck, on our visits to Scotland. He'd never seen a Golden Eagle or a male Hen Harrier, but these being my first birdwatching trips, we saw both. In fact one evening we mapped out a plan to find a likely spot for Golden Eagles and set about a five mile walk the next day. Just as we reached the brow of the final hillock, before the rocky crags where we hoped we might find them, three flew over us at about 30 feet. He was in raptures (or is that raptors?)... I pretended for a minute or so to be blase, just to wind him up, but it was something I'll never forget. To top it all, a fourth eagle was perched on the crag looking down on us with a look that said, this is my patch, what are you two doing here? Magical.

Those moments are really special! I'm sure you'll be having a few more too.

Scotland is wonderful, isn't it.

Thanks everyone - that was a quick response!

Rich. My birdwatcher friend was cursing my beginners luck, on our visits to Scotland. He'd never seen a Golden Eagle or a male Hen Harrier, but these being my first birdwatching trips, we saw both. In fact one evening we mapped out a plan to find a likely spot for Golden Eagles and set about a five mile walk the next day. Just as we reached the brow of the final hillock, before the rocky crags where we hoped we might find them, three flew over us at about 30 feet. He was in raptures (or is that raptors?)... I pretended for a minute or so to be blase, just to wind him up, but it was something I'll never forget. To top it all, a fourth eagle was perched on the crag looking down on us with a look that said, this is my patch, what are you two doing here? Magical.
Superb. Moments like that live with you forever. Can’t wait for our next trip back up.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back