• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the New Forest! (1 Viewer)

knb

United Kingdom
Hello!

I've finally joined after lurking for a while.

I started birding as a kid and into my early teens up on the Yorkshire coast (Scarborough and Filey areas) and did a bit when I moved to the Midlands after uni, but I haven't really done any seriously since moving down here (more years ago than I care to remember!) Other things took over back then, but I've started doing a little bit again more recently, as my partner and her sister have taken an interest.

I found the site when deciding to finally invest in a reasonable pair of bins, and very much appreciate all the advice gleaned from poring over the forum posts!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Welcome!

The New Forest is wonderful for birding. I often visit the Shatterford/ Pigbush/ Denny Wood area (I usually combine them in one long walk).

Acres Down is very nice especially in spring for raptor watching (Goshawk, sometimes Honey Buzzard) and things like Woodlark and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Pennington and Keyhaven Marshes are among the best birding in the South. Huge winter flocks and often rarities in spring and autumn. It can get a bit crowded, but the birds aren't disturbed because they know that people cannot access their areas.

Hi knb and a warm welcome from me too.

You've certainly moved to a lovely part of the country for birding; you may be interested in our Opus article for the forest: New Forest - BirdForum Opus.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Welcome!

The New Forest is wonderful for birding. I often visit the Shatterford/ Pigbush/ Denny Wood area (I usually combine them in one long walk).

Acres Down is very nice especially in spring for raptor watching (Goshawk, sometimes Honey Buzzard) and things like Woodlark and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Pennington and Keyhaven Marshes are among the best birding in the South. Huge winter flocks and often rarities in spring and autumn. It can get a bit crowded, but the birds aren't disturbed because they know that people cannot access their areas.
Thank you!

Yes it is a great place to be and I know the areas on the Forest you mention well from my frequent walks. Thanks for the species tips. The Marshes are somewhere I've neglected far too long but I'm starting to frequent them now; we all had a nice wander there on Sunday in fact.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back