• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Tucson, Arizona (1 Viewer)

trashbird

Hello everyone. I enjoy birdwatching and nature observation in general. I am fortunate to live in a year-round birder's paradise. I look forward to participating on this board. :)

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It's good to have you here and thanks for taking a moment to say hello to us all.

A warm welcome to you, trashbird.

I fell in love with Tucson and SE Az on my first visit there last Memorial Day weekend. Hope I can visit again someday.

Enjoy yourself on the forums.

I have a friend who has emigrated to Arizona - not a birder but we may visit sometime in the future.

How about a brief idea of what a birder visiting from the UK might see?

Rob Smallwood said:
I have a friend who has emigrated to Arizona - not a birder but we may visit sometime in the future.

How about a brief idea of what a birder visiting from the UK might see?

First, thank you all for the kind welcomes. :eek:)

Second, in response to Rob Smallwood:

What makes Southeastern AZ unique is that it lies at the crossroads of three major US floristic regions: the Sonoran Desert, the Rocky Mountain, and the Madrean. The Sonoran Desert and Madrean are both Mexican regions that happen to reach up into Arizona. Another part of Southeastern Arizona's birding uniqueness is that it is made up of several ranges of mountains reaching 10,000 ft (4500 m) broken up by valleys or basins. Here in Tucson, you can travel 25 miles from the base of the Catalina Mtns to the top with an elevational change of 6000 ft (2600 m) and experience the vegetational changes equivalent to driving to Canada.

These two attributes make Southearstern Arizona very diverse for birdwatching -- as well as other kinds of nature observation. As well as being the home to hundreds of nesting species, we are also on a major migrational pathway that brings lots of visitors.

Typical target birds for visiting birders would be the Vermillion Flycatcher, the Elegant Trogon, Rose-thrated Becard, Whistling Ducks, Flame-Colored Tanager, not to mention Sonoran desert commons like the Cactus Wren, Greater Roadrunner, Inca Dove, White Wing Dove, Gambel's Quail -- which I can see on any given day on a walk through my neighborhood.

I'm just an average birder out here, but I'm always happy to go out on a birding jaunt with visitors. Feel free to contact me. :eek:)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back