• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Virginia with a woodpecker question (1 Viewer)

BAC22314

United States
Hi all! I recently moved into a home in Great Falls, VA which has lots of birds. I've never been a birder before but its been lots of fun putting up various birdfeeders and birdhouses around the yard. We mostly get cardinals, but also downy/hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers, bluebirds, and other species I haven't identified yet.

But what prompts me to post here today is another woodpecker that's decided to claim my new home as its personal pecking ground: a pileated woodpecker. It is the size of a small leopard and leaves piles of lumber in its wake. Okay, that's an exaggeration but it is definitely the size of a large crow and in just a few short days it has made mincemeat of a lot of the wood awnings on my roof. Whenever I hear the tap-tap, I have to go running outside to shout obscenities to try to protect my investment until it flies away. Any ideas on a humane way to send this guy off to someone else's yard? I'm not sure yet if he (I think its a he) is mated or not, but it sure seems like he's staking claim to my roof and all the tiny insects that may reside in the wood awnings atop it.

Hi BAC and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, I can't help with your problem, but I've moved your post to another forum where I think more people may see it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

If he's pecking in the same spot maybe you can put something there like mesh to make him go find another place, hopefully away from your home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back