• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello i am new just popped in to say hi (1 Viewer)

SandyUK

United Kingdom
Hello everyone i am new to bird spotting and decided to join you all. Today i saw in my garden a SNIPE and my question is why would it be here ? I have no ponds. I am close to sunk Island though. It was pressing its long beak into the garden soils. I have food out seeds and fat balls but nothing special for this bird. It appears to be sleeping under my hedge. Any ideas why its staying away from normal habitat? Anything I can do to sustain this bird.
Thanks again for letting me join
Sandy

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Maybe your visitor has come from Sunk Island.

Hi there Sandy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hopefully someone from your side of the pond will have some answers for you.

Hi Sandy and a warm welcome to you from me as well.

It's probably a result of the very hard weather we're suffering right now. Snipe feed on invertebrates buried quite deep in the earth, so he may be finding it possible to probe underneath any shrubs you have in the borders. The only thing I think which may be able to help might be meal worms and possibly some seeds.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Sandy and welcome to BirdForum. Was it perhaps a Woodcock? The East of the UK seems to have had a large influx ahead of the cold weather.

Rich

Hi and thanks again for the replies. I have been unable to photograph it but it was definitely a snipe. I am very close to spurn point and we are on the Humber estuary so could be just off a little on route. ? But I will now buy some mealworm incase. Thanks again
Sandy

Hi Sandy, just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum. Enjoy the site.

Hi and thanks again for the replies. I have been unable to photograph it but it was definitely a snipe. I am very close to spurn point and we are on the Humber estuary so could be just off a little on route. ? But I will now buy some mealworm incase. Thanks again
Sandy
Only been to Spurn once Sandy. Beautiful area.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back