• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hello! I'm interested in recording birdsong. (1 Viewer)

Maxwell789

Hi everyone! I'm just beginning to get interested in deliberate bird watching, although of course I've been doing it informally my whole life. I've joined today because I'm planning to make audio recordings of local birds. I currently live in Australia (inner Melbourne), and I especially want to record the song of local Australian magpies. I figured I'll need some birdwatching skills to do this, so here I am!

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Maxwell and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Good luck with your project. Your Magpies really have the most beautiful song, don't they.Do you ever hear whipbirds... their calls are amazing!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

A good way to get Magpies to sing is to get them used to you so that they come around regularly. I've been feeding our meat eaters for a while now (Kookaburras, Magpies, Butcher Birds and Wattlebirds) by giving them a small amount of very cheap mince in the mornings and evenings. About a ping pong ball sized mince ball or two to feed all of them.

The Magpies will sit on our veranda and chortle away to let us know that they have booked a table and the Kookaburras often do the same. We've had three Kookaburras and a Magpie sitting on our veranda balustrade waiting patiently. The Butcher Birds have a very interesting and often pleasant song and sometimes raucous as well. The female Butcher Bird will chirp pleasantly next to me while waiting for bits of mince.

We also have a Whipbird that lives somewhere around our front yard can be very vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread