• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hello :) New passion for Garden Birds & Feeding + (first question to aha) (1 Viewer)

Joe94

United Kingdom
Good evening all, Hope everyone is well?

Just thought I’d update you all following my post on Sunday, that my Robin has since returned aha so thankyou, I think he just went for a break aha 🤣

Also had another visit from the blue tit today since the first visit last Monday. So hopefully it’s making weekly visits to scope out the area & soon will return to actually feed! Then hopefully bring some friends :) There are peanuts, suet filled coconut & sunflower hearts just to name a few, so plenty for them :)

Meanwhile the sparrows, starlings & Robin are loving their new selection :)

I would try sunflower hearts instead of Niger seed they are a lot less hassle and are enjoyed by a lot of species. As well as the finches the sparrows love them so there is less waste. Whatever you put out be very careful regards the weather as the food will spoil quite quickly in the damp weather. Also if you can, buy by the peaceful you will save a lot of money, as a lot of places are charging ridiculous prices for food of the same quality.

Joe94

United Kingdom
I would try sunflower hearts instead of Niger seed they are a lot less hassle and are enjoyed by a lot of species. As well as the finches the sparrows love them so there is less waste. Whatever you put out be very careful regards the weather as the food will spoil quite quickly in the damp weather. Also if you can, buy by the peaceful you will save a lot of money, as a lot of places are charging ridiculous prices for food of the same quality.
Thank you for the tips :)

Since asking about the Nyger, I decided against based on similar advice as yourself, becaus your right it seems my current birds are enjoying it & hopefully new visitors will too :)

As for the weather, this is something I have been keeping an eye one & infact I have now most of my feeders being the weatherproof seed type rather than mesh. All of them are working well to & the birds are still enjoying. But for the feeders that have to be mesh like the peanuts & the ground/tray feeders then I’m just putting out a very small amount in them, when rain is at play to save wastage :)

:)

Users who are viewing this thread