• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello to you all, I am new to all this but need advice. (1 Viewer)

Alyf

United Kingdom
A few weeks ago we noticed that one of our nests had a robin coming in and out, a couple of days ago, the nest was on the floor and sadly it is very clear that a newly hatched bird has been killed as it is visible inside the nest, I can see its legs basically. I am so upset about this and can't understand how it happened as the nest has been there years with no issue and now it has finally got a visitor I am so sad to have found it on the floor. Should I remove the dead baby bird? I am unsure if there are more in the nest but have been watching it having placed it back and put some chicken wire over it and the robin seems to have abandoned it. Thank you for your help on this. Very sad to have discovered this and just don't know what to do.

Hi Alyf and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm so sorry to hear that this nesting attempt has failed. There could be many reasons so it's not possible to say what caused it to fall. I'd just leave it alone now for nature to deal with. Don't give up hope, they may try again.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I am so pleased to have this advice, as I was so upset and did not relish the thought of having to remove it. I also noticed other threads with similar questions so sorry for you having to repeat this advice, but was my knee-jerk reaction to my situation! Thank you also for having me :) x

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi Alyf and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm so sorry to hear that this nesting attempt has failed. There could be many reasons so it's not possible to say what caused it to fall. I'd just leave it alone now for nature to deal with. Don't give up hope, they may try again.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
A few weeks ago we noticed that one of our nests had a robin coming in and out, a couple of days ago, the nest was on the floor and sadly it is very clear that a newly hatched bird has been killed as it is visible inside the nest, I can see its legs basically. I am so upset about this and can't understand how it happened as the nest has been there years with no issue and now it has finally got a visitor I am so sad to have found it on the floor. Should I remove the dead baby bird? I am unsure if there are more in the nest but have been watching it having placed it back and put some chicken wire over it and the robin seems to have abandoned it. Thank you for your help on this. Very sad to have discovered this and just don't know what to do.
Hi Alyf! I am not sure I have any advice to offer, but I find myself in a somewhat similar predicament. I have a pair of mourning doves that have a nest in my yard. Yesterday morning I caught a raven or crow picking on one of the babies! I chased it away but the baby fell and I could see it wasn't going to make it. I stayed away so the parents would come back because the other baby was okay. Now I don't know where the live baby is! But the parents keep hanging out on the ground by the dead one. I'm so heartbroken and I don't know what to do either!

Hi Alyf! I am not sure I have any advice to offer, but I find myself in a somewhat similar predicament. I have a pair of mourning doves that have a nest in my yard. Yesterday morning I caught a raven or crow picking on one of the babies! I chased it away but the baby fell and I could see it wasn't going to make it. I stayed away so the parents would come back because the other baby was okay. Now I don't know where the live baby is! But the parents keep hanging out on the ground by the dead one. I'm so heartbroken and I don't know what to do either!
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back