• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello! (1 Viewer)

Kokopelli

United States
Hi! I live in Wisconsin and enjoy watching birds. I'm no expert (by far!), but have read and observed. I have a grapevine wreath next to my front door. Every spring a finch couple build a nest and raise 4 or 5 babies. This has been going on for at least 5 or more years. Sometimes a second set build another nest behind the 1st one, and we get to watch another set of hatchlings fledge. This year, something very tragic has happened! There were 5 eggs when the mother began to sit. One day we found one egg, with a tiny baby bird partly hatched from it, lying on our porch. We've seen an egg pushed from the nest before, so that part was sad but not unusual. Then, about a week or so later, the mother abandoned the nest completely. There are 2 very tiny (probably just hatched) babies in the nest. Oddly, there is no sign of the other 2 eggs that had been in the nest. (5 to start: 1 pushed out, 2 dead babies, 2?) First, why might she have abandoned her 2 hatched babies? Second, what might have happened to the other 2 eggs?

Hi there Kokopelli and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Kokopelli and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm so sorry to hear about the failure of that nest. I'm afraid I can't really answer your question though, there could be a number of reasons. It could be her partner died and there was no-one to bring any food or help with incubation. But it's guess-work.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to Birdforum. I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits. It’s a shame that the nest failed.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I’m sorry I can’t help with your questions on why the nest failed. Nature is not always kind or understandable.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back