• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello! (1 Viewer)

MantutisK

Norway
Hi everyone! There is a situation and im not sure what to do or not to do anything at all and just let the nature run its course. So about a month ago maby more, we noticen a nest being build in and old small winter decoration next to our front door to the house around 1,80 cm height. Very strage place to build a nest, but what do i know πŸ˜„ so after the nest was done 5 small eggs appeared, immediantly i did some reconnaissance from storage room next to the front door since there is covered window in the door and the nest is visible like on the palm of your hand. Did some online digging and found out that the bird and his chicks are Garden Wablers. I couldnt see the father anywhere, it was just the mother that is feeding them even to this day. We have a cat that come and goes outside as she pleases, i dont know if she knows about the nest. I also read that the chicks when they reach a sertain age should leave the nest along with the parents but since the nest is not i normal place i dont know if they will be able to leave. Its too hight for them to safely get out and too open to go somewhere safe. What to do? Im afraid of the cat getting to them somehow, and im also worried that they might die inside since its getting very tight or atleast it looks like it. They seem fully mature to leave and beable to start the learning but i might be wrong. My cat is a hunter, she gets everything from snakes to mise and so on, but she's pure white color so iguess birds can see her easy. Im on holiday for the weekend. I hope birdies will be ok.
What would you do?!

Hi MantutisK and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm trusting your identification, but it doesn't sound like the place a Garden Warbler would nest; here is a link to our article in Opus on these warblers: Garden Warbler - BirdForum Opus.

They should leave the nest OK, they use their wings like parachutes. Is it possible for you to keep the cat in for a week or so, until the youngsters have safely fledged and are flying freely (they need to strengthen their wing muscles which takes a few days.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how it goes.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. As Delia said they should be fine leaving the nest. And leaving the cat inside will give them a real chance.

Hello again everyone, so i came back after weekend holiday and i wanted to just say that the nest is empty, there is no signs of harm done to it or around it, no feathers and no claw marks on the wall. I guess my kitty understood me that she cant go near it πŸ˜„ the only thing that the birds left is abit of poop all around πŸ˜† i guess everything's fine πŸ™‚ il be honnest i was worried for some time. Thank you for the info and warm welcome everyone, i have some pictures of the little ones in the nest but i saw that its not allowed to post any pictures so i wont 😁 i wish you all the best, stay healthy and safe!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back