• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Helmeted Guineafowl in the UK (1 Viewer)

Alan Gibbons

United Kingdom
Last Saturday in a field near Puttenham, Surrey we spotted 7 Helmeted Guineafowl, which was surprising to say the least.

Has anyone else seen these? Anybody know the background?

Allan

Latest UK List - Helmeted Guineafowl ;)
There are a small number on Naunton Downs golf course in Warwickshire. They will be fence hoppers!

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I'm just going to jump in here and wish Alan a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Mysticete

United States
Apparently they are really good at hunting down and eating ticks, so I think folks are raising a few more stateside. Although I am not even sure if Britain has ticks?

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
When the farm at the entrance to RSPB Middleton Lakes was still a farm they kept rather wide ranging guineafowl!

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
Apparently they are really good at hunting down and eating ticks, so I think folks are raising a few more stateside. Although I am not even sure if Britain has ticks?
Some quick research would have shown we have many types of ticks in the countryside. Good news though - a feral Peacock has recently joined the guineafowl and they have noticably stopped their calling.

Users who are viewing this thread