• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help adding Puerto Rican Owl Image to an existing Page (1 Viewer)

Maryarena

Puerto Rico
Hi Gloria.... what a wonderful find for you. Many thanks for uploading it to the Opus.

Now to get it onto the actual page for the species.

1: Open the article using the Edit tab at the top: Puerto Rican Owl - BirdForum Opus

2: At the very top of the page insert this coding: [[File:puerto Rican Owl Mucaro comun Megascops nudipes.jpg|thumb|550px|right|MALE/FEMALE/JUVENILE/SUBSPECIES ETC<br />Photo &copy; by {{user|Maryarena|Maryarena}}<br />LOCATION & DD MONTH YEAR (if possible)]]

3:Change what is in capital letters for the relevant information.

4: PREVIEW

5: At the very bottom of the page delete the [[Category:Missing Images]]

5: Add into the Summary box at the bottom something like "First image added"

6... PREVIEW AGAIN ;)

7: Don't forget to Save Changes!!!!

Please ask if there's anything you don't understand. You can't "break" the Opus.

Last edited:
Very well done Gloria.

I've corrected an error (not yours) in the template for your name.

I'll have another look at the article shortly to see what needs updating.

Many thanks again for sharing this rarely seen owl with us lass.

Very well done Gloria.

I've corrected an error (not yours) in the template for your name.

I'll have another look at the article shortly to see what needs updating.

Many thanks again for sharing this rarely seen owl with us lass.
My pleasure! Thank you for helping me! I was sad that there was no photo!

It's quite possible there will be more missing from P.R, as not many members seem to visit that country sadly.

We only use images taken by our members, so keep looking!! :)

Hi Gloria.... what a wonderful find for you. Many thanks for uploading it to the Opus.

Now to get it onto the actual page for the species.

1: Open the article using the Edit tab at the top: Puerto Rican Owl - BirdForum Opus

2: At the very top of the page insert this coding: [[File:puerto Rican Owl Mucaro comun Megascops nudipes.jpg|thumb|550px|right|MALE/FEMALE/JUVENILE/SUBSPECIES ETC<br />Photo &copy; by {{user|Maryarena|Maryarena}}<br />LOCATION & DD MONTH YEAR (if possible)]]

3:Change what is in capital letters for the relevant information.

4: PREVIEW

5: At the very bottom of the page delete the [[Category:Missing Images]]

5: Add into the Summary box at the bottom something like "First image added"

6... PREVIEW AGAIN ;)

7: Don't forget to Save Changes!!!!

Please ask if there's anything you don't understand. You can't "break" the Opus.
Hi, Delia! I think I might have the URL wrong or maybe I also have to add the photo to OPUS gallery? This is what I used: [[File:puerto-rican-owl-m%C3%BAcaro-com%C3%BAn-gymnasio-nudipes.jpg|thumb|550px|right|Endemic<br/>Photo &copy; by {{user|Maryarena|Maryarena}}<br />Guánica State Forest, Guánica, Puerto Rico, 5 December 2012]]

Hi, Delia! I think I might have the URL wrong or maybe I also have to add the photo to OPUS gallery? This is what I used: [[File:puerto-rican-owl-m%C3%BAcaro-com%C3%BAn-gymnasio-nudipes.jpg|thumb|550px|right|Endemic<br/>Photo &copy; by {{user|Maryarena|Maryarena}}<br />Guánica State Forest, Guánica, Puerto Rico, 5 December 2012]]
Hola Maryarena,
I see your photo both in the opus page and in the birdforum gallery! I also think back to when I saw this species in the Maricao Forest too many years ago!
Niels

Hola Maryarena,
I see your photo both in the opus page and in the birdforum gallery! I also think back to when I saw this species in the Maricao Forest too many years ago!
Niels
Ohhh, so when I post to the Gallery, it appears in both. Then I have the url wrong for the Guabairo. :-( Which of the options do I copy and I see that I can't include http://, etc. I will search again to see, if I can find the instructions. Thank you!

No, it is two different actions to make a photo appear in the gallery and the opus page.
Niels

No, it is two different actions to make a photo appear in the gallery and the opus page.
Niels
Thank you! Right now I went to the Opus Nightjar page and clicked on Edit. I inserted at the top of the page this, but I don't see the image. I copied the file name that is in the Gallery. [[File:Guabairo_Puerto Rican Nightjar_Antrostomus noctitherus-.jpg|thumb|550px|right|Endemic<br />Photo by {{user|Maryarena|Maryarena}}<br />Guanica State Forest, Puerto Rico, 05, December, 2012]]

I uploaded again to the Opus Gallery and was able to link it! Thank you!
Excellent... and another lovely picture too Gloria.

What you are calling the "Opus Gallery" is what I refer to as the "Opus Filing Cabinet" LOL as it holds sound recordings too. These files have to be placed there for The Opus to be able to 'find' them in order to place them on the relevant articles using the coding I gave you

[[File:FILENAME.JPG|thumb|550px|right|MALE/FEMALE/SUBSPECIES ETC<br />Photo &copy; by {{user|NAME+NAME|NAME}}<br />LOCATION & DATE]]

That's the basic one for placing images on the article - replacing what's in block capitals.

It's easiest/best if the pictures have also been originally added to the Birdforum Gallery, but they don't have to be there. The forums, Gallery and Opus all use different software programmes.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back