• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help choosing a nice inexpensive "compact" binocular for walks etc (1 Viewer)

On the subject of porro/roof inexpensive alternatives, my favourite budget binocular in terms of value for low price is indeed a porro: the Kowa YF 8x30. Well within your initial budget (I've seen them way below 100 GBP) and stunning little performer for the price. As a bonus, is a really handy and nimble binocular that your kids could use (it has a ver narrow minimal interpupilary distance).
I have a pair, have given several as present and never ceases to amaze me. One to definitely look at.

Update guys, to be honest even with all the "time" I have during this isolation with Covid 19, looking at reviews, information, youtube on binoculars and filling my internet browser history with bookmarks on random websites. I just got a little fed up lol two days ago I didn't know what "phase-corrected" or "ED" even was...

So I decided to go with the Pentax Papilio 2 6,5. On the recommendation of many in this thread. I appreciate all the advice and no doubt I will asking questions when the time comes to purchase another set.

The reason I decided on these is as follows. Inexpensive! I managed to get some brand new for £85.00 which I think is reasonable for "first time" decent-ish set of binoculars to be used by myself and the children.
I think what really swayed me was I actually don't know what I want binoculars for! I'm not specifically watching birds, just for out and about with the family, national trust walks and beaches. I wanted something small, so I would actually take them out and not feel hindered. I think these little binoculars will be fine for the time being. And if I use them and find they are not quite what I want, I'll look at purchasing an 8x32 or something like the Viking Kestrel 8x32.

I appreciate all the advice and encouragement I got from you all. Sorry that I went total roundabout and started listing random binoculars, but it is quite overwhelming as a newcomer, which is obviously why I took the time to register and ask you all who really know the subject.

All the best and stay safe

Last edited:
Hi,

for 85 quid the Papilio 6.5x is a great deal... I'm sure you and your kids will love it.

PS: where was this offer again?

Joachim, who has mislaid his pair...

Hi,

thanks for the link - seems like UK only though... at least I couldn't enter a german address in account creation and the Shipping page doesn't mention Europe (well, not any more) or International...

So I guess, I'll find mine some time hopefully... until then, there's enough other bins - although not so great for bugwatching...

Joachim

Hi,

thanks for the link - seems like UK only though... at least I couldn't enter a german address in account creation and the Shipping page doesn't mention Europe (well, not any more) or International...

So I guess, I'll find mine some time hopefully... until then, there's enough other bins - although not so great for bugwatching...

Joachim

damn, yes I just checked for you and it seems only UK. sorry about that.

So the binoculars arrived today, so we went out for a little isolation walk today with the new addition.
I've not got anything to compare them to, but they just want I wanted. The binoculars are small and mighty powerful. We saw three buzzards circling what looked miles away, easily able to see them clearly, and the next moment got the children to view bees up close. Hairy little things! Quite astonishing, how close these things focus. Brilliant!

Last edited:
good choice on the 6.5 papillios - I think they are the best binocular bargain out there

I had both the 6.5 and the 8.5, used them more for closeup bugs, flowers, other small things.
I no longer have them as I gave them to grandkids for them to start on binoculars

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back