• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help. House Finches and Red Bellied Woodpeckers abandoned my feeders (1 Viewer)

DPM

United States
Hi - I live in Rhode Island on wooded suburban land and have had the following set up in my yard for the past couple years. Fountain with moving water, 2 thistle feeders, 1 sunflower feeder, 1 multi seed feeder , 1 suet log, an additional smaller suet feeder, a mealworm feeder and a hummingbird feeder. The feeders are always clean, with fresh food and I keep about 2-4 feet of space between each.

Fortunately the feeders are very active and we love our visitors.

However, the red bellies, who are here year round and were every day regulars at the feeders, stopped coming 4-5 months ago. The house finches, who just discovered the feeders in July, only returned for a month but haven’t been seen since.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is there anything I can do to foster their return?
Thanks

Hi DPM!

I don't have that problem with my Red-Bellieds but my House Finches move on when the Goldfinches migrate down this way usually within the next couple of weeks til the Goldies arrive.

Now, do you use suet feeders for the Woodpeckers? My Woodies are non-stop when it comes to consuming all the suet so if you don't use them, I strongly suggest you get yourself a few of them. I nail them on to the Pine Tree trunks and the Suet draws a lot of other birds in the winter. Good luck guy!

Hi DPM!

I don't have that problem with my Red-Bellieds but my House Finches move on when the Goldfinches migrate down this way usually within the next couple of weeks til the Goldies arrive.

Now, do you use suet feeders for the Woodpeckers? My Woodies are non-stop when it comes to consuming all the suet so if you don't use them, I strongly suggest you get yourself a few of them. I nail them on to the Pine Tree trunks and the Suet draws a lot of other birds in the winter. Good luck guy!
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have 2 suet feeders. The hanging log with holes in it and a standard sized square cage feeder. My woodies are non stop as well, I burn through a lot of suet and the chickadees, nuthatches and tufted titmice like it as well.

The Hairy and Downy woodpeckers are there most. And up until 5 months ago the Red Bellies were there just as often, which is why I’m finding it odd that they just stopped coming for this long of a period.

Does that happen? Do some year round species who are very active at feeders stop coming for very long periods of time and then return one day?

By the way, I live on 7 wooded acres and there are also Pileated Woodpeckers on my property. I hear their very distinct calls ALL THE TIME. I even spotted a couple way up in a tree while on a walk with my daughter. However, those guys have never been to my feeders and if they do show up one day it’ll be a real treat.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back