• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID Aythya sp. - Castelo Branco, Portugal - 7th january 2021 (1 Viewer)

Very difficult photo to do anything with. Got any others?
Plausibly a pochard. Did you think it wasn't?

Sorry for the bad quality, it was very far away.
It got my attention because of the dark upper parts and high contrast with the flanks.
But I accept that it's a pochard.
P1070108.jpg

Hello,
do you have more pictures of this bird?
It might well be a Pochard, but something seems not right. This was my instant gut feeling and even after looking at these pictures once more, the strange feeling hasnt gone. Is it just picture quality?
After downloading it, I thought first, that I could make out a good colouration of the bill (dark base and tip and a paler, bluish grey center), but I am not so sure now. It seems a small bird compared to the BHG around it (even allowing for some size illusion)
Yes, bill and shape looks ok for a Pochard, but why not an hybrid with some Ferruginous Duck genes (or even a pure one???) in it.
This purple brown tinge to the head could also be explained by Ferruginous Duck influence (and yes, also by picture quality. No offense, as allways).
I dont know, if the pale spot should be taken into account: is it a pale eye? I am not sure and more: I have made similar bad quality picture, where Pochards seemed to have such pale starring eye (the eye-lid or a reflection on the eye-lid?).

I hope others including Jörn jumps in here and confirm or correct my feeling, that this might well be Ferruginous Duck x Common Pochard (then Pochard influence is appearant by bill colouration and head-shape).

Or am I squeezing too much out of this pictures here?

am I squeezing too much out of this pictures here?
:D:D - never, Alex! :)

Just to expand on my 'Plausibly a pochard'... It doesn't jump out at me as one (head-shape and back-shape aren't classic) - but nor can I say it isn't one - and nor would I be surprised if it is one. I'm happy on my fence - and in the knowledge that it's probably too fuzzy a photo ever to identify ;)

:D:D - never, Alex! :)
Hello,
thank you for your kind words, but I surely have.
See the answer from Jörn. Thank you Jörn, also for the helpfull comments and drawing in the Wood Pigeon thread. I have learned from it even after a quick look and will read it complete, when I have more time. Thanks to all that commented in this thread!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back