• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID Bird, upstate New York (1 Viewer)

jillycakes

Hello, forum! A few weeks ago I stumbled across a small group of well camouflaged birds on the ground at a wood pile that rustled up when I walked by.

They looked like woodcocks, maybe 10 inches long with brown dappled bodies and cute heads and chicken-like feet - except their beaks were incredibly long and curved, like a far eastern curlew.

Do woodcocks come with beaks like this, or did I maybe see a different kind of bird??

i don't have a clue Jilly but hopefully someone will be by with some suggestions.

Meanwhile a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

You're welcome Jilly.

Well, if you are in that area again, try to get a photo of them as that will help immensely. ;)

Curlew is not likely in New York, but Whimbrel is certainly possible.

(So is at least one species of ibis, but the plumage is pretty different.)

Edit 1: Also should give some consideration to rails (e.g. Clapper), but neither the habitat nor the bill shape sounds like a great match.

Edit 2: but the woodpile thing still bothers me. A group of whimbrels under a woodpile doesn't seem right - they're low-tide mudflat birds and tundra nesters. Sometimes when a description doesn't match the environment, it's because the bird is an escaped cage bird or introduced game bird... but I can't think of anything likely for this case.

Last edited:
Ducklings don't have long beaks, have webbed feet, and don't have a pattern much like woodcocks, so that's not it.

But the idea of a cluster hiding under/near cover being a single brood does have a lot of appeal. I don't know the likely flock size for whimbrel on migration, but I'd guess they would be few and somewhat scattered, so if you approached you might notice one or two at a time, not a group popping up all at once.

Whereas there are lots of locally-breeding birds that hide their young on the ground and keep them in close groups. If not for the description of the beak I would be thinking about local/introduced grouse/pheasant/turkey

Curlew is not likely in New York, but Whimbrel is certainly possible.

I would have thought Curlew was possible in NY - I had family there (in Rome) and even though it was many years ago, I remember it being an amazing birding location with habitats including forests, grasslands, mountains, lakes, rivers, wetlands, pine barrens, dunes, and beaches.

I’m not saying it is a curlew species but I think there’s many more options you could consider than the ones so far - Ulster County is quite forestry so if the OP saw them locally, I’d still be considering a snipe or woodcock species even though perhaps the bill description is off

Last edited:
I checked e-bird, there are a handful of curlew records in the Northeast, all either coastal or great-lake-coastal (with one exception in Connecticut). But it's always a single bird, seen for a day or three at most, then gone. You won't see a curlew again in the same location for five or ten years.

So a curlew is possible but quite unlikely. Multiple curlews clustered by a woodpile, I don't think we should take seriously.

Whimbrel is much more common, enough so that there are a decent number of inland sightings over the years. The inland sightings, though, are usually of one or two birds. I found a couple records of larger groups, but these were seen on the shores of decent-sized lakes. So Whimbrel is possible, but not especially likely either.

Everything about this sighting sounds like snipe or woodcock, except for the curvature of the beak. I hate to say it without giving the original poster a chance to react to all the replies so far, but I'm starting to think he/she made a mistake about the beak.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back