• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID pipit (1 Viewer)

João D. Esteves

Today in Castelo Branco, Portugal

Heard a Red-throated Pipit several times at this place, just trying to see if I did take a photo of it. Maybe the one on the left?

Thanks in advance
18102020-DSC_0024.jpg

Other pipits:

Attachments

• 18102020-DSC_0022.jpg
    18102020-DSC_0022.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 18102020-DSC_0021.jpg
    18102020-DSC_0021.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Agree with Rafael,
right bird is a Meadow Pipit. But left one might be a Red Throted Pipit, showing extensive dark streaked upperparts (making the upperparts looking patchy blackish with contrasting pale tramlines, such a pattern is extremly rare in Meadow).
The underparts are difficult to judge, but your bird seems to have pale cream flanks with weak streaking. I would expect an 100% ID-book Red-throated Pipit to show whiter flanks and contrasting blackish blop-shaped streaking there, and the underparts look better for a Meadow Pipit.

Conclusion? More pictures of the left Pipit please!

Just added some photos of pipits on the same place. I don´t know if they are the same bird. But just a reminder that im 100% sure that there was a Red-throated on that spot, I heard it several times, just trying to find it on the photos.

thank you for the pictures of the two flying pipits. Just commenting on the pictures (yes, a calling RTP can be identified with certainty, even in a vagrant context, so you have it allready!):
First picture shows good streaks to the breast, flank streaking could be bolder, but its within variation for RTP.
But: upperparts seems to plain and you should see streaks to the rump/uppertail-coverts.
Conclusion: plain upperparts and rump can easily explained by picture quality, where details are lost. But please compare here: https://club300.de/gallery/photo.php?id=47501 and https://club300.de/gallery/photo.php?id=47502 and https://club300.de/gallery/photo.php?id=47894

Second bird lacks detail (no offense), but in an enlargement I can imagine sseing a flesh-orange base to the bill, better for Meadow Pipit (RTP has yellow base to the bill). I know, this is for sure to much digged out of this picture.

Conclusion? Both birds doesnt show IDable Red-Throated-Pipits to me, because image quality prevents a safe identification and I can make out a feature (upperpart-streaking in the first, and bill colour in the second ) that cant be judged with certainty in this pictures, but would prevent me to name this birds as probable RTP in a vagrant (?) context. No offense as allways, as said you have it by hearing the call!

In case it might help, I've taken the liberty of brightening up the pipit on the left.

Attachments

• possible RTP.jpg
    possible RTP.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 38
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back