• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help identifying this duck (1 Viewer)

gophish

Saw this duck the other day on a small stream that flows in to the Hudson River near Albany, NY. Any help in ID'ing it would be appreciated.
thanks Ken H.

Attachments

• duck1.jpg
    duck1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 204

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
A bit of a puzzler. My first impression was another mix of mallard and domestic (which happens frequently and turns out all kinds of variations) but then I saw the tail -- which looks a little like a Ruddy's.

Hard to know, since there's no size reference.

Rasmus Boegh

BF member
It's a domestic duck, clearly something that involves a Mallard. I seriously doubt there are any Ruddy-genes in it, even though I do understand the thought because of the tail.

gophish

Thanks folks for the help. I kinda thought some mallard in it with the green on the head. Size wise it was a bit larger than a mallard and sitting all alone on this stream.
thanks again
Ken H.

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Supporter
gophish said:
Thanks folks for the help. I kinda thought some mallard in it with the green on the head. Size wise it was a bit larger than a mallard and sitting all alone on this stream.
thanks again
Ken H.

Yeah, if it was a bit larger than a Mallard, Ruddy Duck blood is doubtful. They're like little wind-up toys, with their small bodies and ridiculous blue bills... :'D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread