• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help ID'ing this Raptor (1 Viewer)

rin

I seriously require assistance trying to place this bird that I saw yesterday. For all the world it had the colourings of a Montagu harrier but this thing was huge, it didn't have the pointed wings and was definitely not a Montagu harrier the colourings are the only similarity it had..........but what it is I have no idea.

"A mysterious Raptor which I have yet to determine.

I saw the biggest raptor ever, circling around a hilly area past a forest. It flew over a smaller wooded area and I followed it by road for quite a while. It landed occasionally on the hill not settling for long before taking off again. It seemed to do flips in the sky occasionally, like it was rolling over from the wing 360degrees. Magnificent. It circled high up in the sky once it passed over the hill area.

It was huge, it had black wing tips/fingers and appeared to have a grey/white back body, although it was very dark underneath, nothing I have ever seen before...........it was amazing. It was the biggest bird that I have ever seen, even bigger than the Eagle that we saw a bit further on."

Any clues?

Thanks

Rin x

rin

luke said:
white backed vulture?? ;)

I would go more towards the Egyptian Vulture if I had to choose one of these critters.

My college tutor says that he thinks that I have to remember how high a golden eagle would have been circling and take that into consideration when trying to size this other bird which was flying much lower to the ground, albeit against a hill.

He says my description and habitat (which he knows well) would lend him towards a male hen harrier............boo hoo. Here was me all excited and hoping for a rarity.......back to the drawing board !

What an imagination I must have !!!

Thanks anyway to all those who contacted me with their suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Rin x

:-C :flyaway: :-C

nirofo

Sounds like an Hen Harrier male to me, there's quite a few in the area where you saw it.

nirofo.

ceasar

Male hen harrier??!!

English is our mother tongue over here but something must have been lost in the transportation of it to this shore!!

Is it like a Capon? Can someone explain this? Otherwise it is an oxymoron.

Quizzically,
Bob

martin kitching

Obsessed seawatcher
ceasar said:
Male hen harrier??!!

English is our mother tongue over here but something must have been lost in the transportation of it to this shore!!

Is it like a Capon? Can someone explain this? Otherwise it is an oxymoron.

Quizzically,
Bob

Bob

Hen Harrier Circus cyaneus cyaneus is our name for the bird you know as Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus hudsonicus (although, I have a vague recollection that they may have been split into two separate species). The name Hen Harrier derived from the species' habit of taking poultry from farms, rather than anything gender related.

martin

ceasar

martin kitching said:
Bob

Hen Harrier Circus cyaneus cyaneus is our name for the bird you know as Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus hudsonicus (although, I have a vague recollection that they may have been split into two separate species). The name Hen Harrier derived from the species' habit of taking poultry from farms, rather than anything gender related.

martin

Thank you Martin,
One is never too old to learn! Our Harriers frequent swamps and lowlands and cruise low and at slow speed over them seeking their prey. They would have trouble with a full grown hen but should be able to take a pullet easily.
Bob

nirofo

Just a thought, could have been an Osprey, they're moving in around this area just now!

Check out flight shots of Hen, Marsh and Montagu's Harriers, plus Osprey for comparison below.

nirofo.

Attachments

• Hen Harrier male in flight.jpg
    Hen Harrier male in flight.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Marsh Harrier male flight.jpg
    Marsh Harrier male flight.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Montagu's Harrier male in flight.jpg
    Montagu's Harrier male in flight.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Osprey in flight.jpg