• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help needed from a complete novice Robins in UK (1 Viewer)

rvallely

Hi All
Forgive the naivete, I have a few questions to ask about nesting Robins

So a lovely pair of Robins have picked our back garden to setup nest.
This is in a gas Barbecue (Gas not connected as not in use) and lucky it is in a corner that is not overly used.

So I have a few questions to ask.

How much distance do we need to give the nest (Mother Robin has come as close to me as about 2 meters when collecting dry leaves, all be it at the other end of the garden) The nest is not viewable as is well inside the barbecue lid.

While not in a part of the garden that is not used as much it is within a couple of meters of our sofa (French doors leading to the garden that are not used as entry/exit). Will us moving about in the room (behind closed glass) upset them?

Also how feasible is it to cut he grass at least at the other side of the garden?

Should we consider putting some feed out? (We do not do this currently)
If yes how far away from the nest? (Do not want to attract other birds to closely)

Will the Robins remake the nest for the 2nd/3rd set of chicks? (I have read about them on the RSPB website)

We also have what we believe to be a family of Blue Tits that have setup home in a hole in the eves which we suspect they have been doing for a good few years.

The joys of lock down and being at home.

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum!

I would try to stay 3 metres away from the BBQ nest. Movement inside your house behind closed doors shouldn't upset the robins. Cutting the grass the other side of the garden should be fine. We have a lot of birds nesting in various trees and hedges and OH continues to mow the lawn. I would put food out; I have feeders out all year round including mixed seed, fat balls, peanuts for birds, peanut butter for birds and niger. Birds also like grated cheese, cooked plain rice or pasta left overs, grapes, apples, and if you soak some raisins in a little water to plump them up, they go down well too. You could also try mealworms.

rvallely

Welcome to Birdforum!

I would try to stay 3 metres away from the BBQ nest. Movement inside your house behind closed doors shouldn't upset the robins. Cutting the grass the other side of the garden should be fine. We have a lot of birds nesting in various trees and hedges and OH continues to mow the lawn. I would put food out; I have feeders out all year round including mixed seed, fat balls, peanuts for birds, peanut butter for birds and niger. Birds also like grated cheese, cooked plain rice or pasta left overs, grapes, apples, and if you soak some raisins in a little water to plump them up, they go down well too. You could also try mealworms.

Thank you Kits
Will have a hunt around for some of these bits.

Users who are viewing this thread