• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed identifying this sound recording French Pyrenees. (1 Viewer)

Jmead

France
Hi all, this was heard today above Bagnères in the French Pyrenees. I've used Birdnet and Merlin and have 4 different results for the same bird (fieldfare, blackcap, stonechat, Cettis warbler). I briefly saw a silhouette and can rule out stonechat and fieldfare (wrong size for FF and wrong habitat and movement for Stonechat, seen in woods).

I'm terrble at sound ID, I listened to Cettis on ebird and one of the many recordings is close-ish.

Thanks for any thoughts ! (I do have a couple of other recordings if needed).

Ps: this is my first time attempting to post a sound recording so let me know if this is not posted in the right place.

Hey all, it seems I posted the wrong audio. I was just speaking to a Mod who said that Moderators have to delete posts, if someone gets the time could they delete this for me please?
Also if anyone knows how to upload a recording from Merlin or Birdnet here I would be grateful :)

Cheers

Merlin creates WAV files, and if they are not compatible with BF then you'll need to change it to an MP3 - although having had a quick look it's not immediately obvious how to add any sound file at all to a post!

An alternative would be to upload the sound to soundcloud or similar and post a link.

@Jmead, if you are looking for sound comparisons, I advise you visit Xeno-Canto always. The calls and song records there are mostly closely monitored and the archive is huge.
In ebird it is a lot harder to be sure a record is definitely this or that species.

A simple online converter can easily convert your file from wav to mp3, look for cloudconvert.

Curious to know what the sound actually is,

cheers,
Gerben

Hi All, thanks for your replies. This time, this is the right recording. A friend has suggested GreatTit but both Birdnet and Merlin usually get that so I'm doubtful.

Thanks @Mono for that converter it works really well and is easy to use.

@HouseCrow I'll look into that. Cheers :)

Hello,

I learned here, that (sometimes at least) fine characteristics are difficult to asses and are dependent on the device and perception (thanks to all again), but it it is either a Tree Sparrow or a Sardinian Warbler imo.
After comparing recordings at xeno-canto, I think your bird lacks the stuttering-quality of Sardininan Warbler, but (at least that what I hear on my device) it slightly lacks the quality/impression of a Tree Sparrow= doesnt seem a perfect fit for this species.
Yes, this can well be explained by the points I mentioned above, but better wait for confirmation or correction from those with more experience with Sardinian Warbler (and surely Tree Sparrow, although I have heard many over trhe years now). Thanks from me, too!

Please compare here: XC685161 Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)

And please note, that Tree Sparrow (and a bit more rarely? House Sparrow, too) can perform some kind of Ninja/skulking behaviour, that you normally would expect from a Warbler. I am sure, you are well aware of this= knows this already.

Sounds like Red-billed Leiothrix (non-native, naturalized species). Unavailable at xenocanto. The relevant call can be heard here:

PS: let me know if you think I should delete the video above (for the same reason why the sounds are not available at xenocanto), but it is freely available on youtube in any case.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks for correction and the new information, Rafael, Mark and Jogresh.
I must admit, that I was quite confident, that this is a Tree Sparrow, and the reason for the unusual pitch/quality/impression for this species was the device I heard the Recording.
But after hearing the recordings of the right species, I realized, that my device produced the right impression.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back