• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please. Is this a Common Gull? (1 Viewer)

John Nihon

When I try and do a lookup I'm not completely sure. Common gulls in the pictures I refer to appear to have more yellowish legs and beaks. Mediterranean gulls and Black-headed gulls have red legs and beaks but mine doesn't have much of a black head, although it does have a splash of black behind the eyes.

Could it be some sort of a cross or something else?

DSC_7533_00003.jpg

If it helps, it was walking on a canal in Hertfordshire, UK.

It’s a lovely image John!

You are right in your description of Common Gulls - greenish/yellowish legs and dark eyes cf to Black-headed and Mediterranean Gull - the latter in adult plumage lacking the black wing feathers you see on your bird. Both Mediterranean and Black-headed Gull loose their dark hoods in winter. ( In summer, the hood of Mediterranean Gull is black, on Black-headed Gulls, the hood is brown 😁)

Winter adult Med Gull

Winter adult Black-headed Gull (with 1st winter behind it)

Winter adult Common Gull

Ps I am assuming it wasn’t a miracle gull but walking on ice!😉

It’s a lovely image John!

You are right in your description of Common Gulls - greenish/yellowish legs and dark eyes cf to Black-headed and Mediterranean Gull - the latter in adult plumage lacking the black wing feathers you see on your bird. Both Mediterranean and Black-headed Gull loose their dark hoods in winter. ( In summer, the hood of Mediterranean Gull is black, on Black-headed Gulls, the hood is brown 😁)

Winter adult Med Gull

Winter adult Black-headed Gull (with 1st winter behind it)

Winter adult Common Gull

Ps I am assuming it wasn’t a miracle gull but walking on ice!😉
WOW, that's fantastic. :D Thank you ever so much for all the info Deb, most useful! I've book marked that website, it's far better than what I was looking at.

Thank you also for the image compliment, it was indeed walking on ice. ⛸️⛸️🐧

Very nice photo. Please remember, per forum rules, to post the location in the thread title. We have found that people in your area are more apt to chime in & provide help.

Very nice photo. Please remember, per forum rules, to post the location in the thread title. We have found that people in your area are more apt to chime in & provide help.
Thank you Lisa. I'll try to remember for next time. :oops: One day I'll manage to get it right. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back