• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Protecting wren fledglings (UK) (1 Viewer)

MamaHippo

Wrens have been nesting in a crevice in our London terraced house and the fledglings have emerged today. One has already been taken by a neighbour's cat, and I am in the garden to chase him away when he returns. Can anyone tell me how long it will take for the baby birds to fly properly and become less vulnerable? At the moment they can flutter about 30cm or so in the air. Any advice would be really welcome as I have very little knowledge. Thank you!

Hi MamaHippo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry to hear that a neighbour's cat has taken one of your fledglings but please don't blame yourself for this. The young should be fully independent within a week and should be able to fly fairly well within a few days.

You might find our Sticky on cats helpful too, you can read it here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=42039.

Meanwhile I've subscribed you to this thread in case you lose track of it, you'll receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you for your reply and the link. I think perhaps for the moment my best option is to stay on cat watch - maybe with a water pistol! At night, though, will they still be exposed and vulnerable or do they have techniques to protect themselves? At the moment they are holed up in some thick jasmine with the parents going in and out to feed them.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Would you be able to ask your neighbour to keep the cat in at night?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back